Back -Forward tabs

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Back -Forward tabs

Post by Dave Davison »

Are there any existing keyboard shortcuts for the two tabs shown in the screen shot or can some be created please? Regards Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Re: Back -Forward tabs

Post by AlanMiller »

Try

BACK: Alt + LeftArrow
FWD: Alt + RightArrow
SEARCH: F3

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can see these shortcuts by hovering the mouse pointer over the buttons.

I have moved this thread to the Windows 7 forum since the screenshot in the attachment shows Windows Explorer in Windows 7. (Why not attach the screenshot instead of a PDF file?)
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gents, as the screen shot below shows Hans, when I hover the cursor over the said buttons no shortcut appears, that's what prompted the question. !!!! Regarding the last comment, for some unknown reason, saving a screenshot using FastStone Capture [which I most often use rather than the Print Screen key] has started to save in the pdf format, don't for life of me know how it got changed from JPEG image but I have now change it to the latter so that's another trivial matter solved. :thankyou: again Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dave Davison on 03 Sep 2017, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry about the confusion, Dave. I'm on Windows 10; the shortcuts are displayed there:
S1477.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

As the Ausies would say Hanse, "No Worries" I'm quite content with W7 in fact XP did all I wanted, and not only me it seems as some of the major UK Governmental departments are still using XP and pay a special retainer premium for M/S to support it. Regards Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:...it seems as some of the major UK Governmental departments are still using XP...
Interesting theory but my experience of a major UK Gov't Dept. is that it ditched XP well before XP reached end of life, so that they had time to ensure nothing unexpected happened with Win 7. There may be some stand alone PCs still running XP somewhere, for example running legacy software that controls laboratory instrumentation but no one will be paying to patch XP because in that context, isolated from the Internet, there's no need / if it ain't bust don't fix it.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Further to Alan's reply, I've tried to assign Alt Gr + left arrow & Shift + left arrow as a keyboard shortcut for the "Web go back" function but neither work, is it possible to assign such a shortcut where both the keys are to the right of the keyboard? I am aware that where an existing shortcut is already assigned it must be deleted so as not to create a conflict of demand. Thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

How did you try to assign custom keyboard shortcuts?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

By using the customize keyboard in the screen shot, Atl + Left arrow [as Alan indicated] being assigned by default for the action I would like to perform using the fingers on my right hand rather than two hands. Not a great hassle just streamlining things somewhat. Hope that axplains things. Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Dave, that is for Microsoft Word only...
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Now, seeing you have forgotten more than I know about this I.T. stuff Hans I would never question your expertise but I'm left puzzled as to why -if that option to create a shortcut is restricted to Word - how come the Alt + right and left arrow keys trigger the forward and back option tabs on a web page? Experimenting, I discover that despite deleting the assigned shortcut keys as shown in my original post the forward and back tabs are still triggered when they are hit. I guess they must fixed with settings that cannot be accessed. Thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Alt+Left and Alt+Right keyboard shortcuts have been hard-coded in most browsers, and in Windows Explorer. You cannot change them.

You tried to change the keyboard shortcuts in Word. That affects only Word, it doesn't affect Windows Explorer, not your internet browser.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

I now realise the shortcuts for W.E. are -as you state- "hard coded" but at least my original question was answered and the shortcuts get well used. Many thanks Dave.