Transferring Apps/Data to New System

BobH
UraniumLounger

Transferring Apps/Data to New System

Post by BobH »

With the demise of my old laptop, I am faced with the issue of setting things up on the new Dell Inspiron 13".

The new system has only one USB-A port. I despise and cannot use without great difficulty, the keyboard on a laptop; so I use a standard, wired keyboard. I have ordered a Bluetooth mouse, but having only one USB port is limiting.

I had Microsoft Office installed on the old machine running WIndows 10 from a license acquired years ago. I have no media for it. Is it possible to transfer it to the new machine running Windows 11? I have the HDD from the old laptop and have put it in an enclosure and connected it to the new machine. All the files appear to be there but there is no uninstalled MS Office. There are other programs that I have no media for that I purchased as downloads. I have product keys for some of them but not others.

Assuming that I will not be able to transfer MS Office (and I will not subscribe to the pay-as-you-go version nor can I afford to purchase a new license), what free office apps are out there that I should consider?

Any other hints for getting the new system up to the old standard?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Transferring Apps/Data to New System

Post by HansV »

Are you sure it's a new Inspiron 13?
a) Dell doesn't sell 13" Inspirons anymore.
b) Inspiron laptops tend to have more than 1 port.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

Yep! This is a Dell Inspiron and the screen is only 13". I bought this system from a remaindering outfit (woot).

It has the port for the power cord, and HDMI port, a port I don't recognize , an SD card reader port, a headphone jack, and a USB port.

When I can figure out how to access iCloud photos on this windows pc, I'll post a pic of the port that I can't ID. It seems to have a P in a box, if that means anything to you.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 00:16
...a port I don't recognize...
It seems to have a P in a box, if that means anything to you.
Is this what you mean?

x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can use the USB-C port to connect any USB device. If the device or cable has a (larger) USB-A connector, you can get a USB-A to USB-C adapter for a few dollars, see for example Syntech USB C to USB Adapter Pack of 2.

S2528.png

(You can also buy one from Apple, and pay many times as much, of course)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Leif

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hans and Leif, thank you both.

I would never have guessed that the unknown to me port type was USB-C. It's my first encounter with one.

I've ordered the adapter. Does that mean that I can then plug by USB-A keyboard into it? What about adding a hub for other USB connections? Any limitations or cautions?

Thanks again for the info.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Now that we've resolved the ports issue, let's return to my original questions.
I had Microsoft Office installed on the old machine running WIndows 10 from a license acquired years ago. I have no media for it. Is it possible to transfer it to the new machine running Windows 11? I have the HDD from the old laptop and have put it in an enclosure and connected it to the new machine. All the files appear to be there but there is no uninstalled MS Office. There are other programs that I have no media for that I purchased as downloads. I have product keys for some of them but not others.

Assuming that I will not be able to transfer MS Office (and I will not subscribe to the pay-as-you-go version nor can I afford to purchase a new license), what free office apps are out there that I should consider?

Any other hints for getting the new system up to the old standard?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

BobH wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 15:48
I've ordered the adapter. Does that mean that I can then plug by USB-A keyboard into it? What about adding a hub for other USB connections? Any limitations or cautions?
Yes, and yes - there is a limit to the number of USB devices you can connect via a hub. but that depends on the specifications of the USB-C port.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

BobH wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 18:49
I had Microsoft Office installed on the old machine running WIndows 10 from a license acquired years ago. I have no media for it. Is it possible to transfer it to the new machine running Windows 11?
No, I don't think so.
The best alternative is probably LibreOffice. It's completely free, it is updated frequently and it can read/write Word documents and Excel workbooks.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 18:49
I had Microsoft Office installed on the old machine running WIndows 10 from a license acquired years ago. I have no media for it. Is it possible to transfer it to the new machine running Windows 11?...
As Hans has already said, transferring Office probably can't be done. However, all may not be lost...

Does your new machine have a trial version of Office pre-installed? If so, you can try activating it using your old / existing the license key. It will either work or it won't :smile:

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A relatively new laptop probably comes with a trial installation of Microsoft 365 - Bob doesn't want that. And a license key for his old Office 2016 wouldn't work for Microsoft 365 anyway - each version of Office requires a different license key...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I only suggested this idea because I got in a muddle with installing Office 2016 on my Win 11 laptop, which came with a MS 365 trial. It seemed to let me enter the 2016 key and then work. Perhaps though it just ignored the 2016 key and was just running the MS 365 trial.

However soon after I did that, a further problem with the laptop prompted me to do another factory reset and since then I've not tried to re-install Office 2016.

Ken