Java Runtime Environment

BobH
UraniumLounger

Java Runtime Environment

Post by BobH »

I know nothing about Java.

I don't know if it's an application or an o/s or something else - suspecting the latter.

In any case, I have an application that I have downloaded that requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in order to load and execute. I do not have a JRE installed.

I have a link to a Java web page that tells my that Firefox 64-bit does not support NPAPI (?) but that JRE requires it. I have no clue how to proceed from there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn what I need to know? The application I want to run is call TuxGuitar, if that helps.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Java Runtime Environment

Post by stuck »

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

Java is not the same as Javascript,

Java is a platform independent programming language, i.e. once written the code can be compiled for any OS and then the user just needs a Java Runtime Environment installed to host and run the Java application. Javascript is a way of making magic happen on webpages. I think that means, you do not need to worry about FF 64bit not supporting NPAPI.

I think all you need is to get the lastest JRE from here:
    link removed, use the one Hans gives in the next post
install it and then get TuxGuitar from here:
    http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/download.html
and install that and all will be well.

Ken
Last edited by stuck on 04 Sep 2020, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The download page is Java SE Runtime Environment 8 Downloads.
Look for jre-8u261-windows-x64.exe
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

That was the most difficult process I've been through in a while. I had to create an Oracle account. It wouldn't believe that I was retired and had no company name nor work number. Then it argued with me about my password passing its rules. It assigned me an account name - not my email address - and I have no idea what it uses.

I was successful in getting the JRE downloaded and installed, however.

Thank you, again.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Well, I guess you have an Oracle "account" by now, but you could also have used this link:
https://www.java.com/en/download/
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.