Modifying the topic title (i.e. the subject line)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Modifying the topic title (i.e. the subject line)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I have just realized that I can change the subject of a post, mid-topic!
I didn't know i could do that.
In the topic I am blessed!, I replied with a post Re: I am cursed!.
Of pedantic interest is that the post subject line says "RE:" and refers to a {post subject | topic title} that does not exist!
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Whatever

Post by HansV »

Yes, we can edit the subject of replies...

If you don't want to confuse readers, remove the RE: from the new subject.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Whatever

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 12:27
If you don't want to confuse readers, ...
Heaven Forbid! :grin:

I have removed "Re:" and now I remember that I did reply to the post in the normal fashion. Since the original subject was "I am blessed", phpBB correctly set the subject of my reply post to be "Re: I am blessed".

After I had submitted the reply, I edited the reply and changed /blessed/cursed/, but did not think to remove the "Re:".

Thanks Hans.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Leif
Administrator

Re: Modifying the topic title (i.e. the subject line)

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 11:59
I have just realized that I can change the subject of a post, mid-topic!
Bear in mind that the list of threads in each Forum view will still show the original Subject title, not the new/revised/edited one.
Leif

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Wot I did

Post by DocAElstein »

Hello
Just a small addition to that. (The following is based on what I have seen. I don’t know for sure how this forum software is written or works)

Thread “titles” appearing in different places
_In the list of threads in each Forum view, ( This sort of bit), I think what is shown there is what most commonly is called the Thread title. That is just what the average forum and forum person seems to somehow work on and call it.
The Thread Starter, OP, or what ever you call him/ her, can usually change this Thread Title by changing the topic title (subject line) in their first post. So, Chris, if you change the topic title (subject line) in your first post then that will change the title in the list of threads in the Forum view. In other words, Chris, change the topic title (subject line) in your first post in this Thread, the one we are in now, and the text here will reflect that change.
Playing around with the title (subject line) of any replies wont effect that appearing in the list of threads in each Forum view, which is saying similar to what Leif said. What Leif is referring to as the original Subject title is what I would call probably the Thread Title or the Title in the title bar (subject line) in the first post, which then goes on to be the Thread Title, like shown in the list of threads in each Forum view

_ In the Portal, the title shown for a Thread is also I think the (subject line) in the first post. So the thread starter can change that in the same way, by changing the title (subject line) in their first post. Playing around with the title (subject line) of any replies wont effect that appearing in the Portal view

_ In the Board index, the thing shown to the right, the LAST POST, will reflect the topic title (subject line) in the last post, like Wot I did.
If some one else now replies then that will likely change, unless they deliberately make sure the title bar (subject line) in the editor is showing Wot I did

Default Reply titles (subject line)
_ If you reply to a thread using the main reply button, then the text appearing in the topic title (subject line) in the editor window will be the Thread title, that is to say the topic title (subject line) of the first Thread post, ( with a Re: bit added).
_If you reply using the quote button, then the text appearing in the topic title (subject line) in the editor window will be the topic title (subject line) of the post you are quoting from, ( with a Re: bit added). ( https://i.postimg.cc/Y0MRj2rr/Quote-reply-Whatever.jpg , https://i.postimg.cc/g2FV0kNf/WhatEver.jpg )

Alan
Last edited by DocAElstein on 06 Mar 2023, 13:22, edited 2 times in total.
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Re: Modifying the topic title (i.e. the subject line)

Post by Graeme »

A straightforward Quick Reply using the Submit button.

Edit: The Subject was already, Re: Modifying the topic title (i.e. the subject line)

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Change Again

Post by DocAElstein »

Hello Cosmic Graeme,
Correct. I missed out mentioning the quick reply button, - good you caught that. The default put in the subject line box bar thing will be in that case the Thread title with a Re: bit added at the front, same as the main reply button at the top. For the main reply button at the top or the quick reply button, the subject title seems to behave similarly. ( In a lot of other forums I post in there is a Reply with Quote button and a Reply button next to each other. That corresponds to answering with a quote or using the quick reply here. I sometime wonder if they have/use all a similar basic software and just change what we see a bit)

In addition that reply of yours has / (or rather had) replaced Wot I did in the board Index
But I just caused it to Change Again with my reply here :evilgrin:

Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(