How to search Eileen's Lounge for a specific domain?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

How to search Eileen's Lounge for a specific domain?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am sometimes in the habit of doing an Advanced Search for terms in Topics Only, reporting Only Topics, to see if my subject has been featured (usually an embarassing ten-plus years ago).
I was going to tell you about a web site I stumbled upon, and how shocked/surprised I was when it showed up.
So first I searched for terms in Topics Only, reporting Only Topics, to see if the domain had been mentioned - ever before.
But now I am diverted to ask about the behaviour of phpBB search software. Again.
Untitled.png
Straight off: I don't believe that this domain has been mentioned in 11,387 Topics (not Posts, just topics)
I tried with and without the dot-com.
I tried with and without quotes.
I got as high as 20,032 with one search.
Untitled2.png
I managed to get a slap on the wrist for using sixteen characters as a word.

So now I'm not going to tell you what I found when I used isitdownnow.com to check on EileensLounge.com, chrisgreaves.com, and landfallgardenhouse.com.
You'll have to find out for yourselves.

P.S. You need not use https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ to see if isitdownrightnow.com is down, or up. I'll have my clerk do that for you.
(Over to you, John) :thumbup:
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: How to search Eileen's Lounge for a specific domain?

Post by HansV »

When I try to reproduce your search, the only result I get is this thread...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 22:01
When I try to reproduce your search, the only result I get is this thread...
Well fry me in oil and smother me with pureed onions :stupidme: I should have thought of that. Of course you would; as will anyone else who tries it now.

So do me a favour, dream up some other domain, four of five one-syllable and common words run together, along the lines of "will it work then" or "why is it flat", and try searching for that domain on Elieen's Lounge. Or any other phpBB board

Depending on your choice of contributing words you should see 10,000 to 25,000 hits for something that doesn't exist.

My first thought was: Let's delete this thread altogether and then you duplicate my search, but I believe it will be a sufficient test to fabricate any other domain with similar characteristics.
Cheers, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Look at the text partly cut off in your first screenshot:
Ignored: isitdownrightnow
The result is meaningless...

These are the search settings we use:

S2028.png

So search terms such as isitdownrightnow or ikwilvanmijnautoaf will be ignored.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 22:38
Look at the text partly cut off in your first screenshot:
Ignored: isitdownrightnow
Thank you Hans. :thankyou:
So I was thrown off by the generated error message " ... they are too common words ..." which struck me as odd. I don't consider "isitupnow" (A question posed by someone who has been knocked to the ground, as in "I sit up now?") to be a word at all, so how can it be too common?

I knew about the 14-character limit but was distracted by the message.
Too I entered into this topic thinking of a domain (subject line) whereas dumb old phpBB doesn't know about domains - it sees only strings of characters.

So entering the string "abcdefghijklmno" generates 0 results because no search was performed, but a search for "abcdefghijklmn.com" found 20,033 matches, presumably for the second string ".com".

And so to bed ...
Thanks, Chris