Lounge exceeding resource limit!!

aekyall
4StarLounger

Lounge exceeding resource limit!!

Post by aekyall »

It's not unusual that on occasion we encounter problems being able to access the Lounge. Usually it results in the web page request timing out and, again usually, trying again a little later gets us in. This evening (1715 GMT) I encountered something different! I received the message saying "website temp unavailable as it exceeded resource limit - try again later". No problem accessing later on so obviously all is well. But, I suppose my question is - Is lounge access actually restricted by a defined access limit that once exceeded causes access to be denied? Or am I not understand the message and it's just another sort of timing out issue? Just interested really :scratch:
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: Lounge exceeding resource limit!!

Post by HansV »

Eileen's Lounge is hosted on a shared server, together with a number of other websites.
There is a limit to the number of simultaneous connections; when this is exceeded, you'll receive the error message you got. This situation generally doesn't last long.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 22:27
There is a limit to the number of simultaneous connections; when this is exceeded, you'll receive the error message you got
Hi Hans.
Back in "When am I "NOT" online?" I learned that after five minutes of inactivity (where "activity" is not defined as keystrokes, but some other interaction made by the user), my status returns to "NOT online".

Are these Resources ("simultaneous connections") being consumed during my walk-away five minutes?
Or are "resources" more like bandwidth, disk activity and the like?

(signed) "Just Curious" of Bonavista.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I assume the connection remains, but I don't know for certain.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I suspect the resource limit is the total number of connections, for each of which the server will be maintaining some context information.

Each connection probably times out after a while of inactivity, and this could well be when you disappear from "Who's online"
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 13:34
I suspect the resource limit is the total number of connections, for each of which the server will be maintaining some context information.

Each connection probably times out after a while of inactivity, and this could well be when you disappear from "Who's online"
Thank you, Hans and Stuart.

If "resources" ever became a troublesome limit, then a "Drop my connection, please" command button would be useful.

I don't want to log-out because I don't want to log-in, but when I decide to go outside and rake leaves, I know that i will be inactive by my definition.
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I wouldn't worry about it. The number of simultaneous online users of Eileen's Lounge is almost always low.
Best wishes,
Hans