One minute wait between successive posts

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: One minute wait between successive posts

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
22 Dec 2012, 20:58
The "Last Active" date and time is deceptive. If a member has subscribed to a daily or weekly digest, the sending of the digest also counts towards the user's activity.
Digests are usually sent just after the hour, so a last active time of, say, 10:02 might indicate the moment a digest was sent to the user.
Do I understand this?

i live alone in a remote community where, in all kindness, I doubt that my neighbours will think to fire up my laptop and tell my regular communicators that I have passed away. That means that my little "world", populated by friends who never expect an immediate response, will in most cases not know of my demise for months, if ever.

In particular, only if Eileen's Lounge admin is called in to examine an internal log, will anyone notice that for the past week or so, my activity has been limited to one instance each day at two minutes past the hour allotted to daily Win10 digests?

I know that in some cases where a member has a surviving partner, that partner might issue a PM to an admin.
But in my case, if I elect NOT to receive a digest, there will be only a (merciful?) silence.

Thanks for any insight
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There are several members whose only "activity" during the last few months or even years has been receiving their daily or weekly digest. Some resume posting after a long absence, others never do. We don't keep an eye on that.
But in your case, it would be very conspicuous if you stopped posting. I'm sure members would try to reach you.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 11:21
But in your case, it would be very conspicuous if you stopped posting. I'm sure members would try to reach you.
Thank you Hans. I know of one member who would want to confirm the good news :evilgrin:

Honestly, there have been times in the past when I have dropped off the face of the earth and electronic alerts have been sent out with various members charged with getting news; I am grateful for the interest.

At this time I was considering an application for a budding entrepreneur like myself - but not me - to produce. Vaguely, a loner, like me, would register a list of web sites and/or email addresses and/or business accounts to be notified "in the even of my death". I can't imagine how the town of Bonavista would be able to wrap up my affairs, such as they are. For one thing, rather than have the government grab my money after the online banks had used it for another three or five years, I would rather that it all went immediately to the local primary school library. Or at least buy a round of drinks at Walkham's Gate Cafe & Pub.

I could lodge a list of not "next of kin" contacts, and a phone number to reach me directly if I went quiet, and then the service would be responsible for contacting Eileen's Lounge and all the other sites, so that LibriVox didn't hang around for months waiting for the one remaining track in the JSBach project, but could assign it to someone better than me (e.g. "alive") and get on with life.

Cheers, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Anyone who has a Google (Gmail) account can set up a plan to specify what to do with the account and who to notify if you don't use the account for a while.
That won't help with other things, of course, but it can be useful to 'loners'.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 15:23
Anyone who has a Google (Gmail) account can set up a plan to specify what to do with the account and who to notify if you don't use the account for a while.
That won't help with other things, of course, but it can be useful to 'loners'.
I have to ask this because I had no idea this was possible. When you say, "if you don't use the account for a while," what exactly does that mean? I rarely, if ever, use Gmail to send anything. I do get email there every day and it is then transferred to my main email account. Would receiving emails be counted as using Gmail? I do ocassionally, every other month or so, sign in to delete all the emails. Just not sure what "if you don't use the account for a while means."

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you visit Gmail at any time during the day, it counts as activity, even if you don't receive or send any messages.
If you visit YouTube or Google Maps and log in to your Google account, it counts as activity. Etc.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I suspect that using an Android phone that is logged in to your Google account would also count
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank both of you for the replies.
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

hlewton wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 15:38
I have to ask this because I had no idea this was possible. When you say, "if you don't use the account for a while," what exactly does that mean? I rarely, if ever, use Gmail to send anything. I do get email there every day and it is then transferred to my main email account. Would receiving emails be counted as using Gmail? I do ocassionally, every other month or so, sign in to delete all the emails. Just not sure what "if you don't use the account for a while means."
In Google's Account Management help, the topic "About Inactive Account Manager" says
We look at several signals to understand whether you are still using your Google Account. These include your last sign-ins, your recent activity in My Activity, usage of Gmail (e.g., the Gmail app on your phone), and Android check-ins.
I suppose that still isn't specific enough, since your main email account has to log into Gmail in order to pick up the mail there, and that could count as "usage". If you want to be sure about it, I think you should submit the question to Google through their Help page.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay Freedman wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 20:08

I suppose that still isn't specific enough, since your main email account has to log into Gmail in order to pick up the mail there, and that could count as "usage". If you want to be sure about it, I think you should submit the question to Google through their Help page.
Thank you very much for the reply.
Regards,
hlewton