WLM copying emails

RonH
SilverLounger

WLM copying emails

Post by RonH »

It seems that one can drag an email from WLM to another folder external to WLM but within the same pc and it copies it, leaving the original in its WLM location. It also seems that the copy is retained even if the original is deleted. Is this correct and is it an OK way to copy emails that one wants to keep within folders outside of WLM ... obviously WLM programme is needed to open the copy.

I am used to the fact that if within the same pc eg same HD, if you drag a file to another location it drags and moves the original, distinct copying it. Up to now therefore, if I wanted to save an email copy I selected 'Save as File' within the WLM programme.

Thanks
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: WLM copying emails

Post by HansV »

Think of Windows Live Mail as a different disk.
Dragging from a mail folder to a disk folder is like dragging from a folder on one disk to a folder on another disk: the default action is to copy the item.
Dragging from one folder to another folder within Windows Live Mail is like dragging from one folder to another folder on the same disk: the default action is to move the item.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans ... that makes it easy to copy the emails that I need to keep outside of the programme.
So I got it right this time :clapping:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Ron,

If I get mail in WLM I want to keep, I open it, click file > save as & save to desktop in .EML format then move it to where I want.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Morning George. Yes, that's the way that I used to do it but (by chance) I happened across across this simple drag/drop method confirmed OK by our expert Hans. You also can simply drag it to the desktop where it creates a copy.

Didn't realise Hans was a Microsoft MVP ... does that mean the Microsoft Vice President :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

RonH wrote:Morning George. Yes, that's the way that I used to do it but (by chance) I happened across across this simple drag/drop method confirmed OK by our expert Hans. You also can simply drag it to the desktop where it creates a copy.

Didn't realise Hans was a Microsoft MVP ... does that mean the Microsoft Vice President :grin:
Hi Ron,
I will try your method.
Microsoft MVP .... Master of Various Programs. :clapping:
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just another query ...
If one uses the 'official' saving method for WLM copies ... Export Email/Email Messages/Microsoft WLM format/Select Folder etc ... then emails are saved with unrecognisable headings such as ...
Capture.JPG
... which makes it difficult to 'track' a specific email. Is there a simple solution to this other than the 'unofficial drag & drop' mentioned above. Using Export is fast and ideal for saving all emails in say Storage Folders on a monthly basis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think you can change that behavior. You may have multiple e-mail messages with the same subject, but filenames within a folder should be unique, so subject is not a good candidate for the file name if you export in bulk.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Good point Hans. One hopes of course that the copy/s are never needed but ...
Each month I copy across to an ext HD ALL that I have in WLM ... Contacts, Emails primarily. Quite recently I had reason to cancel my Hotmail account due to trash invasion and hey, all my Contacts disappeared. Fortunately Microsoft do not immediately delete the account so it was possible to grab a copy of all Contacts and to reinstall them 'offline' into WLM. :clapping:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

RR.jpg
The image above is my Saved Mail > George > Inbox folder.
I can read any message without Importing them back into WLM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

George ... you are so right! I didn't think of changing the viewing options for different sorts ... as I do for Pictures :sad:
:thankyou: Ron
Sorry to waste your time Hans & George
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

RonH wrote:George ... you are so right! I didn't think of changing the viewing options for different sorts ... as I do for Pictures :sad:
:thankyou: Ron
Sorry to waste your time Hans & George
Your perfectly welcome.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.