IE9 Invalid Security Certificate

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

IE9 Invalid Security Certificate

Post by DaveInPitt »

Hello Good People of the Lounge - I have an invalid\bad security certificate that I am unable to remove\delete. The certificate is for an internal site at my company. I've attempted to run IE9 as the administrator and still cannot remove it (remove button is greyed out). Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can remove\delete the certificate? All suggestions appreciated! Thank You :thankyou:
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: IE9 Invalid Security Certificate

Post by Argus »

There are several certificate stores in Windows.

Do you see the same, get the same result, if you use the Certificates Snap-in (to Microsoft Management Console, MMC)?

(I think you will have to be logged on as a member of the administrator group, as you did above.)

To run the Certificates Snap-in, run: certmgr.msc
Though it's possible it will only show those related to the current user account. It's a long time since I had to use it, and it's dinner time, sort of, so I may be missing something here.

To peek into, for example, the Local Computer store it's possible you may have to add the snap-in to the MMC (and select that one in the final steps). From memory and XP (it's possible it's slightly different in Vista/7, see also this link to MS: Add the Certificates Snap-in to an MMC):

First run mmc.exe, then via the menu: File > Add/Remove Snap-in > Click Add (or similar) > Pick "Certificates" among available snap-ins in the list and select Add. Then under manage, pick Computer Account and click Next, and finally Local Computer and press Finish, and close the Add Snap-in dialogue with OK, since you are not going to add more snap-ins.

Here is some reading from MS, see the links under Additional references at the bottom of the page.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 25751.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Post by DaveInPitt »

Thanks for the info Argus! I'll take a closer look at your suggestions and will post an update if needed. Thanks!!
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Post by DaveInPitt »

After running the certificate snap-in (certmgr.msc); I was able to view and delete the bad certificate. Thanks again Argus for the suggestion!! Hopefully, this will resolve the issue.
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

You're welcome.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.