File explorer misery on W10 PRO

LineLaline
2StarLounger

File explorer misery on W10 PRO

Post by LineLaline »

Dear all.
I have moved to a different laptop and there are too many issues to all mention. But I stumbled onto a big issue I really can't live with.
When I used to go to a folder and typed a letter the list would jump to the first file that started with that name. It no longer does and instead I typed in the doomed 'Search' field I have come to really dislike on this laptop. I can't simply type a letter; the 'Search' field is activated as soon as I do and if I actually use that stupid search it will list the files that start with that letter in silly 'Content' mode. I am used to working fast and being efficient and this is not only making me lose time but my mood suffers as well.

The icons are very big even though they are set to 'Small', the laptop screen has a very high resolution and I think it's overcompensating.
The text in apps looks 'woolly' and thick even after using ClearType.

This is not even all the misery but I will stop here.
The laptop arrived installed in German :groan: :brickwall: 😭😭😭 I jumped through numerous hoops to get rid of it but it still comes back even when I log in or in strange locations. Folders, files, you name it.

After a few hours of misery I am going to try to get some sleep now.
Can someone help with bright ideas?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: File explorer misery on W10 PRO

Post by StuartR »

LineLaline wrote: ↑
10 Nov 2022, 02:31
The icons are very big even though they are set to 'Small', the laptop screen has a very high resolution and I think it's overcompensating.
The text in apps looks 'woolly' and thick even after using ClearType.
Try adjusting the display scaling
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Select File > Change folder and search options.
Activate the View tab.
Under 'When typing into list view', select 'Select the types item in the view'.
Click OK

S1963.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Thank you sooooooooo much Hans πŸ’–
I can't believe i missed this, but I did, I did!
I am so thankful you could help 😊
Next on my 'to do list' is to switch the Function and Control keys via the BIOS. Sigh.
Before I do that: do you know if there is some sort of strange problem I could run into while doing that? It's been a while since I used the BIOS.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not aware of such problems, but I've never tried something like that myself.
Best wishes,
Hans

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Thank you Hans.
This laptop has the 'Fn' key on the bottom left corner, the woes during work! I keep hitting it instead of 'Ctrl'. I won't mind if the key later says 'Fn' instead of 'Ctrl', the most important to me is that it does indeed 'control' 😊

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

I just found out the laptop comes with an application to bypass the BIOS and swap these keys. I am so happy 😊