Using Windows Photo Viewer in Win 10

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Using Windows Photo Viewer in Win 10

Post by hlewton »

I am wondering if this Registry Hack I found, after being run, would make Windows 11 use Windows Photo Viewer as it claims, the default program for photos. I am not sure it does all that some of the links above suggest doing. What does the @="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" mean? Here is the code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.bmp]
@="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.ico]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.jpg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.gif\OpenWithProgids]
"PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ico\OpenWithProgids]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpeg\OpenWithProgids]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.bmp\OpenWithProgids]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpg\OpenWithProgids]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.png\OpenWithProgids]
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The text in your post should be saved in a plain text file. You should then change the extension to .reg
When you open (double-click) a .reg file, it will make changes to the Windows registry.
It will add or modify registry keys and registry values.
Each registry key has a default value in the right-hand pane of the registry editor. In the text file, this default value is indicated by @.

But you do NOT, I repeat NOT have to understand what each of the entries in the .reg file does, nor should you change the contents of the file in any way.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 20:36
The text in your post should be saved in a plain text file. You should then change the extension to .reg
When you open (double-click) a .reg file, it will make changes to the Windows registry.
It will add or modify registry keys and registry values.
Each registry key has a default value in the right-hand pane of the registry editor. In the text file, this default value is indicated by @.

But you do NOT, I repeat NOT have to understand what each of the entries in the .reg file does, nor should you change the contents of the file in any way.
Thank you. I was not going to change anything but I was wondering why the .Tiff was mentioned so often. Also, do you think running this reg. file alone will make Windows Photo Viewer the default program for the extensions mentioned?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have no idea. Why don't you try it?
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 19:48
...Windows 11...
You contradict the subject you gave this topic, "...in Win 10"
hlewton wrote:
...use Windows Photo Viewer as... ...the default program for photos...
I don't have Win 11 but I have never had to resort to a reg. hack to set a default program of any type. Every version of Windows I've ever used has had a built in feature to do that. Why can you not use that feature?

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 23:14
I have no idea. Why don't you try it?
I may give it a try. I was just trying to be cautious. Something happened to my entire Microsoft 365 on that machine and my computer builder is remotely connected to it now trying to get it back up and running.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 09:21
hlewton wrote:
...Windows 11...
You contradict the subject you gave this topic, "...in Win 10"
hlewton wrote:
...use Windows Photo Viewer as... ...the default program for photos...
I don't have Win 11 but I have never had to resort to a reg. hack to set a default program of any type. Every version of Windows I've ever used has had a built in feature to do that. Why can you not use that feature?

Ken
I read where the hack would be the same for both Win 10 and Win 11. So, I was just trying to not to have to create another thread. Sorry if that was confusing.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 14:24
I read where the hack would be the same for both Win 10 and Win 11...
OK but my point remains, I've never had to resort to a reg. hack to set a default program. How come you can't use the built in feature?

Ken

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

stuck wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 15:13
OK but my point remains, I've never had to resort to a reg. hack to set a default program. How come you can't use the built in feature?

Ken
From what I understand Ken, Windows Photo Viewer is included BUT is not enabled in Windows 11. The registry hack enables Photo Viewer and THEN the user can make it the default viewer via the built-in feature.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rebel wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 16:02
stuck wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 15:13

Ken
From what I understand Ken, Windows Photo Viewer is included BUT is not enabled in Windows 11. The registry hack enables Photo Viewer and THEN the user can make it the default viewer via the built-in feature.
Yes that is my understanding also. Windows Photo Viewer is not offered, at least to me, when choosing a default program to open photos or other files either. A while back I installed and set InfanView 64 as my default program. It works but has a slight problem. Often it will give me an error dialog box as can be seen in the attachment. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to find and install that Ghostscript it mentions. But at least it partially works for me so I gave up trying to find and install Ghostscript.
InFanView.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

AFAIK, the Photos app is not optional in Windows 11. It is one of many "in-box" apps. There was recently a big update to the Photos app. You can still get the legacy Photos app in the Microsoft store. Within the updated Photos app go to Settings. Them scroll down to "Photos legacy".
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 20:44
AFAIK, the Photos app is not optional in Windows 11. It is one of many "in-box" apps. There was recently a big update to the Photos app. You can still get the legacy Photos app in the Microsoft store. Within the updated Photos app go to Settings. Them scroll down to "Photos legacy".
I am not following this. I searched in the Microsoft store and found that I have a photo app, apparently, already installed. I opened it and clicked the Settings but found no "Photos legacy" setting option. The app I opened is named Photos so I am not sure that is where you wanted me to be but I didn't find any other Photo app to open. When you said, "Within the updated Photos app go to Settings" did you mean the app named Photos which I found in my start menu?
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Rebel wrote:
Ah, OK, I see.
hlewton wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 16:33
Yes that is my understanding also...
...Ghostscript.
Don't worry about the error in IrfanView, it only occurs if you try to open a PDF file with IrfanView. In other words, set the default app for PDF files to a proper PDF reader like Foxit and you should not see the error again (unless you explicitly try to open a PDF file using IrfanView.

Ken
Last edited by stuck on 28 Oct 2022, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 19:30
Rebel wrote:
Ah, OK, I see.
hlewton wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 16:33
Yes that is my understanding also...
...Ghostscript.
Don't worry about the error in IrfanView, it only occurs if you try to open a PDF file with IrfanView.

Ken
OH, thank you. I'll pay more attention the next time I am using it.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 19:47
NB I've edited my post, adding a bit more to it so please go back and read it again, it should help you a bit more.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 19:49
hlewton wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 19:47
NB I've edited my post, adding a bit more to it so please go back and read it again, it should help you a bit more.

Ken
I thought I had already done that but went back and checked for sure. My computer uses Foxit PDF Reader for PDF files. So, I am not sure why I am getting that error. I will pay attention next time but I thought it gave me that error when there were no more jpg or jpeg files to open in the folder where I was viewing them
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 19:57
...I am not sure why I am getting that error. I will pay attention next time but I thought it gave me that error when there were no more jpg or jpeg files to open in the folder where I was viewing them
If, in a folder in Explorer, you double click on an image file, and IrfanView is the default app. for that file type, then the image will open in IrfanView.

If then inside IrfanView you use the forward / back arrows on Irfanview's toolbar to step to the next image in that same folder then IrfanView will try to open the next file in a folder. If that next file happens to be a PDF file then, even if Foxit is your default PDF app. IrfanView will try to open it and, unless you have Ghostscript installed, you will get the error.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 20:17
hlewton wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 19:57
...I am not sure why I am getting that error. I will pay attention next time but I thought it gave me that error when there were no more jpg or jpeg files to open in the folder where I was viewing them
If, in a folder in Explorer, you double click on an image file, and IrfanView is the default app. for that file type, then the image will open in IrfanView.

If then inside IrfanView you use the forward / back arrows on Irfanview's toolbar to step to the next image in that same folder then IrfanView will try to open the next file in a folder. If that next file happens to be a PDF file then, even if Foxit is your default PDF app. IrfanView will try to open it and, unless you have Ghostscript installed, you will get the error.

Ken
That must be what is happening. Back to what I mentioned above, I have tried unsuccessfully to install Ghostscript, I don't even remember how I tried to install it at the time. I just now searched where to install it from and came up with a site artifex.com that offered a free version and a licensed version but it did not mention InfranView. Do you know if that is where I should try to install the free version of Ghostscript?
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 23:10
...Do you know if that is where I should try to install the free version of Ghostscript?
I've used IrfanView for years, probably all the way back to Win 98, and seen this error many times but I've never, ever, bothered to go looking for Ghostscript. I don't need (or want) IrfanView to open PDF files, I've got proper PDF reader apps for that.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 08:23
hlewton wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 23:10
...Do you know if that is where I should try to install the free version of Ghostscript?
I've used IrfanView for years, probably all the way back to Win 98, and seen this error many times but I've never, ever, bothered to go looking for Ghostscript. I don't need (or want) IrfanView to open PDF files, I've got proper PDF reader apps for that.

Ken
OK thanks. I think I'll follow your lead.
Regards,
hlewton