Recipe Card Formatting

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Recipe Card Formatting

Post by Leesha »

Hi,
I'm uploading a stripped down version of a DB. There is a report that prints the way I want it to look for each recipe but the layout is wrong. My goal is to have it print as 4 separate recipes per page, printing side by side, 2 on top, 2 on bottom. They are to be used as recipe cards. I tried using the label wizard for Avery 8387 but nothing I did got it to print appropriately, which is why I tried to do it in a report. I was going to try columns but couldn't get that to work either. Is this even possible?
Thanks,
Alicia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CData
3StarLounger

Re: Recipe Care Formatting

Post by CData »

sorry did not look at zip

Open the report in design view.

Highlight the section band containing the fields (?Details section).

Click File | Page Setup ... Columns tab.

Set up your columns.

that gets the side-by-side
the up-and-down count is going to involve the page break

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

I've tried that without any luck. I can get all 4 on the page but the spacing is not correct. It's step in the right direction however I need them to print as a equally spaced side by side.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In the attached version, I used a main report that only contains the recipe ID and name, with a subreport for the rest.

RecipeCards.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

OMG! If you knew how many hours I have struggled with this. At one point, when "thinking like Hans" I wondered about a sub report but then immediately dismissed it as I had no idea if I could get a subreport to work with columns. This is awesome and I am so appreciative!

Is this how you would handle getting a sheet of labels to print to one page? I'm trying to print labels with the recipe names for the 4 reports that are contained in the recipe cards, using Avery 5160/8160 labels. I created the label using the label wizard but it only prints 4 labels / sheet. Ideally it would print 4 sheets with 1 set of labels per sheet. I've tried only selecting one Recipe Name at a time, but then all I get is 1 label. It shouldn't be this hard.
Thanks!
Leesha

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Avery 5160/8160 is 3 across, so you won't be able to print 4 labels per sheet.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

How would I set it up to print 1 recipe name per sheet so each sheet would print a full sheet 1 one recipe name and then the next recipe name would print on page 2 and so on?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Here is a fairly simple way to do it. I added a table tblNum that just contains the numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4, and added this table to qryRecipe. That's all!

RecipeCards.zip
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

That is pretty cool! So I'm assuming (that always gets me in trouble, that I would do a similar thing using just the recipe name in a subreport on the 8160 label style?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you want a report with just the recipe name repeated n times, you could create a label report and place the ReportName field in the detail section.
Use the trick with tblNum to repeat the label the desired number of times. No subreport needed.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Re: Recipe Card Formatting

Post by Leesha »

I just tried it and it worked like a charm! Love this trick.
As always, THANK YOU!
Leesha