hiding /revealing 'news and interests'

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

hiding /revealing 'news and interests'

Post by stuck »

It's simple to turn off the latest must (not) have feature in Win 10, i.e. 'News and Interests' that recently appeared on the Taskbar in Win 10. Simply right click on the Taskbar and in entry for 'News and Interests', turn it off. I did this about a minute after 'News and Interests' first appeared on my machine and I decided I didn't need it.

In theory it's just as easy to turn it back on again, simply reverse that sequence. EXCEPT...

If your Taskbar is NOT at the bottom of the screen (I have mine at the top), you can turn it off as above (which I had done) but if you want to turn it on again when you right click on the Taskbar there is no entry for 'News and Interests'. I discovered this 'feature' when my PC updated to 20H2 this morning and that update obviously did something to 'News and Interests' because it produced an empty bit of Taskbar where 'News and Interests' should have been but wasn't there because I'd previously turned it off.

The entry for 'News and Interests' only appears in the right click context menu of the Taskbar if your Taskbar is at the bottom of the screen. Thank you to last bit of the beige highlighted bit of this page for that important detail:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/178 ... -10-a.html

Once I'd moved my Taskbar to the bottom of my screen I fixed the empty space problem by turning 'News and Interests' on and then off again.

This is called 'progress'.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: hiding /revealing 'news and interests'

Post by HansV »

Sheesh...
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Hutber's Law: Improvement means deterioration...

Another way of turning off quantities of Windows 10 settings stupidities is to run O&O's provocatively-named ShutUp10. (Almost) endless options to choose from! I just select the "Recommended and somewhat recommended" settings, but change "Disable search box in task bar", because that's the only bit of Cortana that I use!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't use the search box, I simply click the Start button or press the Windows key and start typing...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

John Gray wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 09:49
...run O&O's provocatively-named ShutUp10...
I use that every time Win 10 update land on my machine. I'll need to check to see if it has a line for News and Interests.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

stuck wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 10:19
John Gray wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 09:49
...run O&O's provocatively-named ShutUp10...
I use that every time Win 10 updates land on my machine. I'll need to check to see if it has a line for News and Interests.

Ken