Default Printer Issues

BobH
UraniumLounger

Default Printer Issues

Post by BobH »

Using a Brother HL-2270DW laser printer on this Window 10 laptop, I can only print printer default values using the printers control buttons. Anything sent from the laptop hangs in the print queue with this error.
Print Queue.PNG
In Settings the printer shows as the default printer without an error until I try to Print a Test Page in Settings or print anything from a laptop program, then I get the Default, Error indication shown here.
Print Settings error.PNG
Because it prints its default settings autonomously but won't print anything from the laptop, I've inferred this to be a Windows problem, not a device problem. I have deleted the driver and downloaded and installed a fresh copy and the problem persists. I have reset printer defaults autonomously on the device. I have disabled and enabled the printer in Windows. I've searched online for this problem specifically and for setting default printers in Win 10 all to no avail.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:

UPDATED TO ADD:
I have disconnected all cables, thoroughly cleaned the printer and reseated all components and reconnected it to the laptop. I have not yet tried replacing the USB cable - I suppose it's possible the cable is bad - but all cables are well connected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Default Printer Issues

Post by StuartR »

Did you try a different USB port?
Do you have another computer that you can use to test the printer connectivity?
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Stuart!

Before yesterday I didn't have another Windows computer and my iOS devices don't have USB.

I moved the USB cable from this laptop to the other one and the printer printed a Notepad page; so the problem has to be somewhere in Windows on this PC. My SIL suggested I check Event Viewer. I found an event for the printer from back in February but nothing more recent. The event was a 410 event showing kernel-PnP. So far everything I've found about this kernel event refers to keyboards or disk drives, not to printers. I'm having no luck getting info on the 410 event or on the kernel-PnP indicator. Could it be a Registry problem?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Usually when I see an error like this it is either a connectivity issue, or the printer port has been configured incorrectly. For example if you have a network connected printer then this would happen if you had the wrong IP address configured on the laptop.

I had a quick look for this model printer and it seems to support network connectivity, could you try connecting the printer to your network and see if that enables you to print from this laptop.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Stuart!

I haven't had the printer connected to the network. I'll see if I can find the instructions for connecting it.

I'll get back to you. Thanks again!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

As threatened promised, I'm back. I have spent hours today trying to get the printer setup as a network printer. I was successful in that my newer laptop sees the printer but cannot print to it. The Print Queue shows an error just as was the case when I began. This laptop - the old one - shows the wifi printer AND the USB printer as it has been heretofore installed. I cannot print to either. I don't know but it seems to me that the problem is the USB printer image. I tried to remove it from Settings > Devices and Printers > Remove but got the following error from Windows: " This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

If there is an administrator, it is I, who knows not how to address this problem. :hairout:

Searches resulted in pages that suggested that I run system file checker (sfc) which I did after running DSM all from the command prompt and after creating a restore point. One article suggested running group policy editor (gpedit.msc) which I first had to install. After running it I found nothing that suggested a problem to be addressed. I also read a suggestion that I should edit the Registry which was not specific to any printer problem. I have not edited the Registry but will do if there is a reason.

I'm open to further suggestions. :cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

At this stage I am running out of ideas. You could completely deinstall all software related to this printer and start from scratch again, but I don't have any specific suggestions.
StuartR

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Print the configuration page.

The configuration page for a Brother HL-2270DW is called a printer settings page, and it's actually 3 pages long. It includes printer settings, page counts, drum and toner life remaining, an error log, and network settings.

To print the configuration page, press the Go button three times. The printer will whir and the pages should print out shortly.

Look for End of Life for parts and consumables like toner, drum etc.
If it is drum you may have a second (or even third life) by resetting the drum counter.

Anyway the error log is also there that might give you an idea, if it it not part related.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, jolas!

It appears that the remaining life of the drum is about 95% and toner about 85%. The last error was a rear jam on sheet 4967. Pages printed is reported as 5767; so I think that jam might have been fairly recent, but I don't remember clearing it.

I'll have to learn about other information reported, but nothing jumps out at me as an obvious issue.

Again, thanks for this tip.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Here is the a link to the HL-2270DW user guide.

From page 53 you may find LED Control Panel blink code meaning for error and stuff.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, jolas!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

In the continuing saga . . .

I have run into several error messages saying that I cannot delete the printer (hardware) and since then error messages saying that I cannot delete the driver because it is in use. I discovered this because I thought that the driver might be corrupted and a fresh install might fix the problem. In pursuing these problems I found references to using Print Management to proceed. I discovered that I do not have Print Management. Delving into that further I read in a reply that Windows 10 Home Edition - which I have - does not include Print Management. I can find no information about installing Print Management on Home Edition nor can I find alternatives to using Print Management.

Here are some of the error messages encountered:
Print srv prop cannot delete.PNG
cannot delete driver brother HL-2270DW.PNG
The only remaining option that I can think of is to do a complete Windows reinstall but I think I'd volunteer to catch bullets with my teeth first.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and gratefully received.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Did you try to delete the printer, before uninstalling the driver?
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hi Stuart! Yes, I tried to uninstall the printer first and only when that failed did I attempt to uninstall the driver. I was not successful with removing either the hardware or the software.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Try searching for the Services app.
Locate the Print Spooler Service, right-click and stop it.
Try uninstalling the printer driver again and deleting the printer.
If successful restart the Print Spooler service again or restart your computer.

Hope this helps.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I've done that several times, Jolas. Thanks for the suggestion.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

This maybe helpful.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Jolas, thank you, again !! :wine:

None of the suggestions in the first part of that link were new . . . I had tried them all unsuccessfully but I tried them again, unsuccessfully. However, I followed the instructions for removing the printer from the registry and that worked. The printer is now removed.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HURRAH! Or as we say in Texas, "YEEHAW!!!!!"

I am very pleased, nay, ecstatic, in reporting that I now have a functioning printer. Even better it is printing wirelessly whereas before it was USB connected to only one device.

Thank you, all, for the help and especially jolas who convinced me to edit the USB printer out of the Registry.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Brilliant. Thank you for letting us know.
StuartR