Cannot install Cumulative Updates

jmt356
SilverLounger

Cannot install Cumulative Updates

Post by jmt356 »

Currently, my Windows Update status shows as follows:

2020-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems (KB4592438)
2020-11 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64 (KB4580419)

Each time I restart, my laptop begins installing the updates, then restarts again, and then after a couple of minutes, it comes to a window that states:

Getting Windows ready

And then it states:

We couldn’t complete the updates
Undoing changes
Don’t turn off your computer

2020-12 Cumulative Update failed to install no 30 Dec., 6 Jan., 9 Jan. and 10 Jan.

Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2 failed to install on 27 dec. 2020

I paused updates for 7 days on multiple occasions in Nov., until I could no longer pause updates. Now, the Pause updates for 7 days button in Settings has been grayed out for several weeks, and I wonder if that is why my updates cannot install.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cannot install Cumulative Updates

Post by HansV »

See How to fix Windows Update problems on Windows 10.
I suspect you may have to repair/reinstall Windows itself, but you can try the other steps first.
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

JMT - I had an sudden failure of update to work and I posted this link. My problem was solved by clearing the cache; detailed in the link page. That was for a specific error code, though. It may help, though.

Here

Silverback

Katmal
NewLounger

Post by Katmal »

Hello.
I have the same problem each time when my laptop try to install updates. The last time I had to reinstall Windows. Does sombody know why this problem exist? Could it be conected with the age of my laptop? or, perhapse, amount of memory?
Last edited by Katmal on 13 Apr 2021, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Sometimes, the update mechanism becomes corrupted. Have you tried the steps in the link in my first reply above, or in silverback's link?
Best wishes,
Hans

Katmal
NewLounger

Post by Katmal »

Hello Hans,
No, last time I tried steps from another guide. And it wasn't any result. But as I said I always have this problem, so next time I will use these steps. I've read this article and found a lot of new information.
Thank you.
I'll write results)