Can’t See Network Computers In Windows File Explorer

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Can’t See Network Computers In Windows File Explorer

Post by StuartR »

They are
Function Discovery services.png
Maybe I should create a batch file to restart them 5 minutes after I login
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 21:54
First of all I would quick running that bat file.
Shut down ALL machines.
Then fire up one at a time.
After they are all up and running, open File Explorer on all of them.
Do NOT do any thing else, have ONLY file explorer running, and expand the network on all of them.
At this point, can you see all of the other machines from each of them?

One other question, do you have pass worded user accounts logged in on all of these machines, they can be different user names?
I actually have tried what you suggested and sometimes opening File Explorer doesn't even show the computer name on the machine itself. Other times opening File Explorer will show one of the other computers and maybe itself but not all of them. I just did exactly what you suggested right now and all 4 that were in the screen shot only displayed its own name, no other network computer.

I do not run that bat file as a normal thing to do. I only run it if and when I need to see a specific computer or all of them if needed. The need for that would be when I want to use the MyFolders program to map a new folder to whatever computer I need to map to.

I do not have any pass worded accounts an any machine. My account, which has administrator privileges, is the only account on all the machines.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 22:35
I just rebooted this laptop. Before I rebooted it all of my computers had an explorer window open and they could see each other.
After rebooting the laptop it could see the other computers, but it could not see itself, and none of the other computers could see the laptop.

I stopped and started Function Discovery Resource Publication on the laptop and now all the computers can see each other again.
Mine at times will see itself and maybe 1 other computer but that is not consistent and today they only saw themselves. They never see all the computers in the network. The fellow who was here working on my computers, at one point had the one I am on now seeing all my computers and it remained doing that no matter how many File Explorer incidents were open. The Function bat had not been run on any of the other computers to make this possible. However, after a reboot or two it went back to only seeing itself.

JoeP wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 04:14
@StuartR,

Are both Function Discovery services set to Automatic Delayed Start?
Yes they are. They weren't when the computer mentioned above did what I described but after it quit showing all the other network computers I set them to Automatic Delayed Start.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Since you are running with out passwords which Windows has always wanted, do you have a common user account name on all machines?

On our machines we have several user accounts on all machines with passwords. We also have a common "Admin" user name with the SAME password on all machines. This does assist in the operation of the local network, and also is our back door in case an account corruption. This account is fully set up and is only logged into to set it up and IF when one needs to use the back door.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 14:42
Since you are running with out passwords which Windows has always wanted, do you have a common user account name on all machines?

On our machines we have several user accounts on all machines with passwords. We also have a common "Admin" user name with the SAME password on all machines. This does assist in the operation of the local network, and also is our back door in case an account corruption. This account is fully set up and is only logged into to set it up and IF when one needs to use the back door.
I don't think I have that but I will find out. I know I see my name on all of them when booting up but some show my first while others show my last name.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

All of my computers have accounts with passwords. Every account that I log in to exists on all computers.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

The computer can not tell that it is you, if you do NOT use the same account name.
First name and second name are two different accounts.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I sure don't know enough about this to disagree. The only thing I know for sure is they used to work and still do now after I run the bat file on the other machines. So somehow they seem to be able to recognize the other computers after that bat file is executed even though they have different user account names, in my case. They are, after all, on the same network. None of it makes any sense to me and I'd bet even if I called MS they couldn't help judging by all the posts on the Internet concerning the same problem.
Regards,
hlewton

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

When you say they are in the same network, do you mean they all have the same workgroup name?

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

jolas wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 22:15
When you say they are in the same network, do you mean they all have the same workgroup name?
Yes they do.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I just posted this at 2 other sites. If I get anything different and useful, I will report back.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

@StuartR

I just noticed in your pic of the FD services that FD Provider Host is not running. Have you checked its dependencies to see if all are running?
Joe

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

JoeP wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 16:33
@StuartR

I just noticed in your pic of the FD services that FD Provider Host is not running. Have you checked its dependencies to see if all are running?
It's running now. I suspect that was just the delayed start
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

StuartR wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 17:08
It's running now. I suspect that was just the delayed start
On my system the FD Resource Publication is dependent on the FD Provider Host. So, how did it start first? To me, this means the FDPH started and stopped. That may be the problem. Is there anything in the system or application logs about this?
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Not sure what you're talking about but if anything works, please let me know.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

JoeP wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 18:16
On my system the FD Resource Publication is dependent on the FD Provider Host. So, how did it start first? To me, this means the FDPH started and stopped. That may be the problem. Is there anything in the system or application logs about this?
I have no idea when I made that screenshot. If I ever see anything similar then I will look.

Meanwhile. I have a scheduled task that runs every time I log in. This mounts my Veracrypt volume so I can access my data, and it then restarts the Windows Search service, because otherwise I can't search the volume that didn't exist when Windows booted. I have recently added a couple of lines to also restart FD Provider Host at the same time, and I can now browse with no issues.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 19:34
I have recently added a couple of lines to also restart FD Provider Host at the same time, and I can now browse with no issues.
Does this mean you can see your other network computers with no issues? If so, how would I use it? I do not see a FD Provider Host when I open Services.msc.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

@hlewton,

FD = Function Discovery. If you do not have Function Discovery Provider Host it will never work. StuartR and I just used the letters to cut down on typing. Sorry for any confusion.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 15:29
@hlewton,

FD = Function Discovery. If you do not have Function Discovery Provider Host it will never work. StuartR and I just used the letters to cut down on typing. Sorry for any confusion.
OK thank you.
Regards,
hlewton