End of Win7 updates

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

End of Win7 updates

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Without thinking I opened Control Panel and started a Windows Update run. Then I realised that today is the 14th January.

As I sit here, Windows7 HP says it has found FOUR updates (since Saturday) and is busy installing them.
If previous patterns are followed one update will fail to install.

I thought that Win7 updates were finished.

(signed) " :scratch: " of Bonavista
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: End of Win7 updates

Post by HansV »

Enjoy them while they last...
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

The last updates are probably the worst... They take the chance to dump stuff on you that will help you decide to update to Windows 10.....

( BTW... I ordered a Windows 10 machine today.... ( I paid the guy an extra 30 euros to supply me with an extra Windows 10 insilation disc. I bet not many people have one of those.. https://imgur.com/QZ2EN9C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; https://imgur.com/u1QOc9M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) I wonder if it will work... It was not too expensive so i thought I would take a chance... If it don't work I can probably instal Vista on it..
A few years ago at a local dealer, part of a major National computer chain, I told the guy I would buy one of his top of the range new computers, and give him 100 euro on top, if he could give me a Windows 7 machine and an instillation disc and prove to me that the opertating system could be re installed. .. he gave up after 3 months of trying...
_._______________________________________________________________________
ChrisGreaves wrote:...Then I realised that today is the 14th January.
......................I thought that Win7 updates were finished.
I expect that possibly support ending doesn’t stop you getting updates for Windows 7.
I still get Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 updates
Yesterday I got attacked with over 100 XP updates.. http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 00#p262900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Often the updates break things. https://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic ... 21&t=33872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , https://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic ... 21&t=31405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , https://stackoverflow.com/questions/291 ... 4#54350074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , http://www.excelfox.com/forum/showthrea ... #post10920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I assume as well they do some hidden good as most of them are security updates. I only see the bad effects. I often wonder how / why I still get these old updates still. All my Microsoft software is legal and registered with Microsoft, maybe that is my mistake. More often than not now, I disable Autoamtic Updates , and prefer to do regularly a complete system wipe clean and re instal as an alternative security option.
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 15 Jan 2020, 14:45, edited 8 times in total.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I thought that Win7 updates were finished.
I thought you said it was busy installing them. :blackteeth:

Ah yes, but then (the extended) support would have eneded in December, wouldn't it?
See it as one for the road. :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks, after doing the 4 updates on both my win7 pc's my wallpaper disappeared leaving a white background.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I assume that you can change that?
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Roderunner wrote:Hi Folks, after doing the 4 updates on both my win7 pc's my wallpaper disappeared leaving a white background.
Wow, that’s great. Finally something positive from Microsoft and Updates.
I jokingly asked a while back if a VBA macro could do some of my building work , since someone said it can do almost anything.
I hate wall paper, and the such, I prefer a blank white background.
I want to try those updates
( My "new" windows 10 machine arrived in the post today.. , I wonder what that can do )
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Hans,
Before installing the Win7 updates (KB4536952, KB4534310, KB4532945 & KB4495606) on 14/01/2020, I had 2 variations of Windows Classic Theme. One called Green the other called White. (I had saved these themes on my pc without the slide show to cut down its size). My Desktop background on both was 'Slide Show' to change every thirty minutes. After the updates were installed, I have an unsaved theme that I can't delete when one of the others is selected. If I save the unnamed theme, another appears. My desktop picture is all white and I'm unable to set any picture as background.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It turns out that others are complaining about this too. See if 1-15-2020 Windows 7 update removes permissions for wallpaper fix (black wallpaper fix) helps
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

HansV wrote:It turns out that others are complaining about this too. See if 1-15-2020 Windows 7 update removes permissions for wallpaper fix (black wallpaper fix) helps
Do you know the KB number to delete, your link is very small with no sound.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you view the video in full screen it's perfectly readable.
KB4530734
KB4536952
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

HansV wrote:If you view the video in full screen it's perfectly readable.
KB4530734
KB4536952
Hi Hans, sorry for the delayed reply. I removed KB4536952.
KB4530734 shows in 'View Update History' but not in 'Installed Updates'.
Background still white.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Can you select a different theme, then set a background picture?
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Hans, It can be done easily but the unsaved theme reappears.
If another theme except Windows classic is selected it stays there untill I restart pc or attempt to change settings.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas (except for upgrading to Windows 10 :evilgrin:)
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Roderunner wrote:
HansV wrote:If you view the video in full screen it's perfectly readable.
KB4530734
KB4536952
Hi Hans, sorry for the delayed reply. I removed KB4536952.
KB4530734 shows in 'View Update History' but not in 'Installed Updates'.
Background still white.
Probably explained by the fact that KB4530734 was the December 2019 Monthly Rollup, and was replaced by KB4534310, the January 2020 Monthly Rollup. (Similar, if December Monthly Rollup is your most recently installed, it will show earlier Rollups in Update History, but not in Uninstall Updates.)

KB4536952 is the most recent (or the last ...) Servicing Stack Update (SSU).
:ranton:
Spoiler
SSUs are the ones which for some odd reason, usually is not shown in WU until all other important updates are installed...; it has been joked about how bad MSFT's WU has been working; in for example KB articles about SSU they've said "We strongly recommend you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU)." In another, a general doc about SSUs, they say: "Is there any special guidance? Microsoft recommends you install the latest servicing stack updates for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update."

Well, it's been a fact for quite some time that if you get (excl. Office etc.) say three "important", a Monthly Rollup, a dot NET update, and the evergreen KB890830 (removal of baddies), and decide to install the first two, you won't see an eventual SSU until important updates is empty, either by installing the latest KB890830 or by hiding it. One could perhaps say that the SSU, being installed last, is then there before next month updates ... :doh:

It is said that Windows 7 update technology, and patch installation chronology requires the servicing stack update to be handled separately from the monthly Security-only updates; fine, but then why did they not start every month with the SSU, if there was one (and if important was empty), instead of the other way around. They started tagging SSUs "security" in 2018 after the problems that autumn installing other updates.

And yes, there are so many things not working exactly as one would expect; their Security Advisory about latest Servicing Stack Updates for each OS only includes links to November SSUs even though it says "Published: 11/13/2018 | Last Updated : 01/14/2020". However, more recent ones are mentioned in a FAQ at the page ...

This was just a rant about WU etc. :grin:
(I think they are joke nowadays and that they would much prefer to work with "cloud-something".)
:rantoff:
Back to the discussed updates, I think the December Monthly Rollup (KB4530734) included a small change that will show a full screen "pop-up" about end of support; I saw it on one machine 15/1.

One conclusion of aforementioned is then, on a Windows 7 Professional system, that running with December Monthly Rollup, the above mentioned KB4530734, and the December Servicing stack update, KB4531786, I've not seen any changes to Desktop Wallpaper when using Aero themes.
HansV wrote:(except for upgrading to Windows 10 :evilgrin:)
Ah, their safest OS yet :laugh: which you at install time have to fight to not let it leak, spy and gather all and everything about you and your system.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Argus wrote:One conclusion of aforementioned is then, on a Windows 7 Professional system, that running with December Monthly Rollup, the above mentioned KB4530734, and the December Servicing stack update, KB4531786, I've not seen any changes to Desktop Wallpaper when using Aero themes.
BTW, I didn't mention, but that system hasn't been restarted since some days before 15/1 ...

Anyhow, I noticed that you have posted about the topic at sevenforums. Some in that thread mention KB4534314, the January Security only, which would be odd, it being security only, but if they [MSFT] would want to add some changes I guess they would have to include it also in security only patches (and it wouldn't be the first time I think).

Above you mention its sibling KB4534310, the January monthly rollup, and KB4536952 SSU (and two dot NET updates (one older) for what was incl. in Win7). I don't know why KB4530734 December monthly rollup was mentioned in the video linked to by Hans (as I mentioned it has been said that it would include the end of support pop-up; and I saw one 15/1), but it is possible that December months updates (monthly rollup & security only) also saw changes to other things, not yet seen here since no restart after 14/1.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

HansV wrote:I'm afraid I'm out of ideas (except for upgrading to Windows 10 :evilgrin:)
I have given much thought about getting a Win10 laptop just undecided on what to get.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

I found that different versions of Win7 are affected by different updates. I uninstalled KB4534310 and that fixed my problem.
WU did try to reinstall it but I hid it.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Unless you desperately need software that only runs under Windows, then pick a Linux distro and run that. Linux is perfectly capable for general browsing and social interaction.
And while I've never tried it, I believe you can use Wine to run many Windows applications.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube