Windows Mail in Vista

RonH
SilverLounger

Windows Mail in Vista

Post by RonH »

My lady insists on continuing to use Windows Mail on a Vista pc so until it 'packs up' I think we are stuck with this mail handler, which actually works well and gives terrific Local Folder capability. She keeps just about all past emails in Local Folders ... a lengthy copy procedure to an ext HD that I do for her on occasion, thinking of the problems I will face should her ageing pc quit this world :grin:

Question:
This email provider (a local POP3) has recently made changes/updates to its web mail service and it will not now connect with the Windows Mail pc app. As yet they have no solution and mail can only be read online via their web mail and cannot be saved in Windows Mail Local Folders ... believe me, a big deal. If at some stage I add (say) a gmail account to Windows Mail and delete her POP3 account, will all her many Local Folder emails be retained? I am sure that this is the case but I need to be super sure ... hence this request. Phew ...
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Mail in Vista

Post by HansV »

If the messages have been moved to local storage folders, removing the POP3 account won't affect those messages.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans for your confirmation of my understanding.
Now for the next part of the challenge ... maybe do a test drop on the pc :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Consider making a backup of the email using MailStore Home:
https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/
It's free and will allow you to restore the archived mail to another mail client. In the past I've used it to move mail from Thunderbird to Outlook. More recently I used it move my mail from Outlook Express on XP to Outlook on Win 10. It also got one of my sons out of a hole when he had to rearrange things in Outlook (http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27422)

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Ken,
Yes, I use this on my W10 laptop. Did not think of installing this on the Vista and will take a look at it to see if it is possible with the early Vista Windows Mail.
Thanks for your tip.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:...installing this on the Vista...
See the PM I've just sent you.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

stuck wrote:
RonH wrote:...installing this on the Vista...
See the PM I've just sent you.

Ken
Thanks Ken, I will do some checking and get back to you if needed.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I have just tried to archive Windows Vista Mail to Mailstore Home and it functions correctly using the Windows Mail archive link :fanfare:

We are at the stage where I might have finally convinced my lady that she should trash her Vista and get a new Windows 10 pc. I have said W10 cannot use a Vista mail programme but WLM should be OK. Doubt that she would opt for the Windows 10 Mail ... she has so many folders/sub folders. Thunderbird which I use is a bit complex so I reckon WLM which behaves almost like Vista Mail is the way to go for 'peace of mind'. MINE :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

As a follow up to ask for help ...
Mailstore Restore instructions are proving difficult :scratch: These are the instructions:
Mailstore 1.JPG
Mailstore.JPG
The file I end up at is a CONFIG File for which there is not an installed programme. Am I following the correct process?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I think your problem is that you are using Explorer when the instructions are to use the start menu.

On my Win 10 box when I click the 'start' button, i.e. the one at the left hand end of the task bar that has the Windows logo on it, and then scroll down the alphabetic list of programs I get to an entry called 'Mailstore Home' and when I click that I get a choice of 'Mailstore Home' or 'Mailstore Home - Configuration'. You'll want the latter option.

Ken
PS that Start Menu entry is a pointer to here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\MailStore Home
that lauches the Mailstore exe file with a /config switch

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

So obvious when reading the instructions rather than interpreting :clapping:
Thanks Ken
(Vista Mail eg Windows Mail is still fully supported. had no issues setting up the archive)
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.