Current version of Win 7

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Current version of Win 7

Post by Peter Kinross »

One of my computers refused to upgrade to Win 10, so I'm stuck with Win 7.
Does anybody know if, when MS finishes support for Win 7, updates will still be available?
If not, I think I should get a full current copy of it. Just in case (in my case an absolute certainty) I ever need to re-install it. Any clues on how to do this?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

HansV
Administrator

Re: Current version of Win 7

Post by HansV »

Make sure that you have Windows 7 SP1 - the original, pre-SP1 release is no longer supported.
Windows 7 SP1 is currently in the extended support phase. This means that there won't be feature updates anymore, but you'll still get monthly security updates. Extended support will end on the 14th of January, 2020, i.e. a bit less than three years from now.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Hans. Might have upgraded the computer by then.
Insomnia? :laugh:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Just burning the midnight oil...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My main laptop also would not run Windows 10, and has remained on Windows 7. This is a great pity as it's fast, rugged,reliable, and does everything I need.
So it goes.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Did Microsoft indicate which component prevented Windows 10 from running?
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Gave error numbers. Google search gave no useful info on them. I didn't keep a record of the numbers.
I replaced the memory, thinking that that was the most obvious, but it didn't help. Anyone want to buy some old fashioned memory :)
It is a moot point now as the free upgrade option has long gone.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

As of a few days ago you could still get the free upgrade. Microsoft just quit pushing it.
Joe

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I have a 12-year-old laptop (Dell Inspiron L600m) that won't install Windows 10 because the CPU doesn't support many of the required functions -- and even if it would install, the RAM is maxed out at 1 GB so it would run like a one-legged tortoise. The machine is now running happily with Linux Mint (Sarah), not quite the latest but very nice.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

JoeP wrote:As of a few days ago you could still get the free upgrade. Microsoft just quit pushing it.
Thanks Joe. I tried again - 4 times in fact. Last time was with a clean boot with everything disabled. No dice.
One of my attempts was trying the upgrade from safe mode, thinking that that way there could be nothing to interfere. Sadly the update refused to recognize that my 'Safe mode' computer was registered and refused to continue. I tried that one twice with the same result.
If anyone knows of a way to get the Win 10 upgrade to complete from safe mode, please let me know.
The errors I got with some of the attempts were:
A dialog saying "Can't find any file to show in the configured folders". Hitting the OK button got back to Windows and occasionally the upgrade continued or after a long wait with nothing happening a re-boot continued the upgrade
And an error message "Page fault in non-paged area". Then proceeded to briefly try again twice before reverting to Win 7

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'd stay with Windows 7 on this computer; it's solid and stable. As mentioned above, you'll be receiving security updates until early 2020. By that time, you can decide to get a new PC or laptop or tablet...
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Good point Hans, but no one likes to admit defeat.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Defeating Microsoft is not easy...
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Not wrong. But my recent experiences with their help line indicate that they are mellowing.
Still open for any suggestions to get Win 7 Safe Mode to be recognized as being registered by the Win 10 upgrade procedure.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Joe

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Joe, that is indeed a great site. The most clear of any I visited - and I visited a LOT.
I tried what suggestions they made that could be applied. Then tried 2 more times - no luck. I think that makes 14 attempts in all.
Phoned MS help line and their tech asked for the model no of my computer. He came back a few minutes later and said my computer wasn't compatible with Win 10. This is despite me using the Win 10 compatibility checker many, many times. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
So I am resigned to staying with Win 7 on that computer.
Thanks all.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Peter Kinross wrote:Thanks Joe, that is indeed a great site. The most clear of any I visited - and I visited a LOT.
I tried what suggestions they made that could be applied. Then tried 2 more times - no luck. I think that makes 14 attempts in all.
Phoned MS help line and their tech asked for the model no of my computer. He came back a few minutes later and said my computer wasn't compatible with Win 10. This is despite me using the Win 10 compatibility checker many, many times. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
So I am resigned to staying with Win 7 on that computer.
Thanks all.
Don't feel too bad, Peter. I still dual boot Win7 & 10 and I can't recall the last time I bothered to go into Win 10! I'll stick with 7 for as long as it works for me. ( and I anticipate that to be a long time ) :thumbup:

BTW, did the tech mention just what is was that made your PC incompatible with 10? Curious.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

BTW, did the tech mention just what is was that made your PC incompatible with 10? Curious.
Nope, and stupidly I didn't think to ask him.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

According to http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 ... pc-run-it/, the processor has to support PAE (physical address extension), NX (No-eXecute), and SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2). Detailed explanations are at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 82072.aspx.

I have an old laptop that doesn't support PAE, and therefore doesn't support the other two requirements. This may also be the case for your computer.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Yeah I hear you Jay, but you would assume that the Win 10 compatibility check(s) would pick that up every time.