Community help with MS and IE

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Community help with MS and IE

Post by sciencemagic »

I used to be able to get community help on their forums when I accessed MS and IE for help with problems I may have. When I posed a question recently, I got no reply for the first time using that service. Any idea what is happening with IE help forums? Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Community help with MS and IE

Post by HansV »

Do you mean the Internet Explorer forums on Microsoft Community? They are still active, as far as I can tell, and many Microsoft MVPs are active there, but it's always possible that a question escapes attention. Or perhaps nobody had a helpful response.
Could you post a link to your question here?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Sometimes a quick "bump" on your post gets some responses to it too.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Rudi and HansV. Thanks for your reply. It did get a reply when I tried another question, so I guess it is still up. Just haven't gotten a reply to my original question though. Which was, it seems many problems with browsers can be helped by managing add-ons. But, when I view my add-ons in the add-ons box and drop down menus to view, there are so many I don't know which ones are pertinent and which ones I can possibly delete. Any suggestions as to how do I go about knowing which add-ons I can do with out and which ones I definitely need? Hopefully you might have some suggestions? Thank you.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

To give any meaningful advice, we'd have to know which browser (and maybe what version of the browser) you're using, and what add-ins you have now. For the list of add-ins, it would be easiest to take a screen shot of the browser's add-in manager and post that here.

Another approach is to use MalwareBytes Free to scan your computer. Among other things, it will examine the browser add-ins and suggest which ones are "potentially unwanted programs" (PUPs). If you agree, it will remove them. Typical PUPs are ones that add useless toolbars, or inject ads into web pages that you view.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Jay,

I used MalwareBytes Free several times, and that really didn't help my problem, of slow internet with IE 10. To answer your question, I'm using IE10. I would very much like to post you my add-ons, Jay. Being I don't have a lot of computer experience, how can I take a screen shot, Jay and post you my add-ons list? There seem to be many in the manage add-on box from the tools menu. Yes, I know I have limited experience, but if your patient and willing to help, I can supply what you want Jay. Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/inte ... s#ie=ie-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While you are viewing the list of add-ons, press Alt+Printscreen to place an image of the window on the clipboard.

Start Paint and paste the image. Save the image as a. jpg or a png file.

To post the image file, see http://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

HansV and Jay,

I was able to, in a convoluted way, to get screen shots of manage add-ons from the manage add-ons box. Unfortunately, there were too many of the add-ons to get just 1 screen shot of them all. Try as I may, I couldn't get all the add-ons in 1 screen shot. So, I had to get 3 different screen shots to show all of the add-ons, and therefore 3 different attachments. When I try and post the attachments, to my post reply, I can only send 1 attachment at a time per reply. Yes, it is probably amusing to see how screwy I got this reply, but here it is. I will have to send 3 replies, each showing a different attachment to total 3 of them. Following is attachment #1. I will send the 2 other replies containing the 2 other attachments. Please bear with me HansV and Jay, who originally wanted the detailed add-on list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

2 nd. attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Finally the last attachment and all the add-ons I have. Hopefully someone can see if all these add-ons are needed, and if some can be deleted or not? Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See what happens if you disable the Google update plug-in.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I think you could probably disable all of the ones listed under the "Microsoft Corporation" heading, at least long enough to determine whether anything on the web pages you visit stops working. You might need to keep the Windows Live Mail entry enabled, if you use that for your email. My copy of IE doesn't have any of those add-ins.

You have four different entries there for XML DOM Document <something>. I can't tell whether they're all different in the hidden part or whether they're the same. Also, there are two entries for Windows Media Player <something>. You might need one of each, or you might not need them at all.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

HansV and Jay,

Jay, I took your advice and disabled all you suggested, except 1 windows media player entry which I keep, and Silverlight, which I know I use for stock market use. Everything else in Microsoft was disabled.
HansV, I also disabled the google update plugin you suggested. I will see if these changes make IE work any better. As of yesterday I was still getting error messages while using IE. Example: IE not responding, and then I get a box saying windows is looking for a solution, but no solution is found, and evidently it can't help? But, nonetheless I will see how these changes affect my browser IE. Thank you both for your help, it is appreciated. By the way, I really don't experience the same problem with firefox, if that is of any help?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You probably have different plug-ins / add-ons for Firefox.
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

HansV, Jay.

I still encounter the same problem. While in IE, a web site will lock up and I get the message IE not responding in a little dedicated box I also get the message, Windows looking for a solution to the problem. But, Windows doesn't find a solution to the problem and I'm left hanging with the problem. Anymore idea's as to what may be causing the problems, and how it can be fixed? Again, I don't seem to get the same problem with Firefox. Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What happens if you disable ALL add-ins? You can always turn on the ones you really need later on.
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Hans,

I will try your suggestion and get back with you with the results. Thank you, Hans.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Hans,

I did try disabling all the add-ons, and that still made no difference in my problem. The browser IE still takes long to load a web site, and when that happens, I still get the message: long running script, and I also get the message: IE not responding and I get the little box stating: Windows looking for a solution to the problem, but unfortunately Windows can't find a solution, or so it says. So, there you have it. Do you have any further opinions Hans, or does anyone else? What about Jay, does he have any thoughts as to what is happening? Once again, I do appreciate any help from contributors.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you tried resetting IE? Go to Settings (the gear) | Internet Options | Advanced | Reset (button)

Joe
Joe

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Does the slow loading happen with only one or a few web sites, or is it with all of them? If it's just some of them, they may be using scripting that doesn't follow the rules that IE expects. You could switch to Firefox for those sites, or use the method outlined at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/ ... ty.349649/. (NoScript is an add-in that blocks scripts from running, but it isn't compatible with IE.)

If you upgrade to IE 11, it might not have the same problem.