HP Stream 7 tablet and micro SD cards

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

HP Stream 7 tablet and micro SD cards

Post by BobArch2 »

I recently acquired a new toy, HP Stream 7 Signature Edition. It comes with a 32GB eMMC device (similar to a SSD) to house the Windows 8.1 O/S along with other application software and personal files.

However, as we all know, 32GB is not too much capacity in today's world for storing oodles of personal files and in fact those type of files are better off on another device.

The HP Stream 7 has an internal slot for a micro SD card and the specs say it can handle another 32GB. I say "internal" since the SD card is not accessible through an external slot on the side of the tablet but rather inside, under the back cover. Introducing such a card defeats the purpose of being removable since it is inconvenient to remove the back cover.

I did some research and found that the tablet is not restricted to a 32GB micro SD card. I found and ordered this 64GB micro SD card.

I thought I was off to the races and tried to install Dropbox, only to be told that Dropbox could not be placed on a removable drive (D:) and insisted that it be stored on the eMMC drive (C:). After several futile attempts to move Dropbox, I then decided that Google was my friend and found this article. A few moments later all was well and the micro SD card was the repository of choice.

That process was followed by offloading all the other MS folders like Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos and even OneDrive to the micro SD card.

Hope this helps anyone else getting a Windows tablet and is cramped for space.

P.S. The only thing I do not like about the new toy is that it is difficult to maneuver around the touch screen with large digits. Time to venture off to the local store to get a stylus! :grin:
Regards,
Bob

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: HP Stream 7 tablet and micro SD cards

Post by Rudi »

This can be a useful post for many who have the need to extend their device storage.
TX Bob.

Just a query: Is there any reason why you seem to have opted out of cloud storage; or is your cloud accounts already full? ;)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Rudi wrote:Just a query: Is there any reason why you seem to have opted out of cloud storage; or is your cloud accounts already full? ;)
Lots of stuff in the clouds, but not at capacity. I like to keep some files on iPad or the HP tablet if I am out-and-about without access to WiFi. Like when visiting my 96 year old mother in her assisted living residence and she wants to see recent photos of her great grand son! :grin:
Regards,
Bob

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Totally understand. 64GB's...thats a LOT of photos of the great grandson :wink: :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I needed to use a 128GB microSD card in my phone, so that I could download the entire set of UK Ordnance Survey 1:25000 maps for when I go walking. Otherwise I would constantly have to switch what maps are loaded and I'd never have the one I need when I need it!
StuartR

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

StuartR wrote:I needed to use a 128GB microSD card in my phone,...
I originally thought of getting a 128GB microSD card, about Cdn$130, but it was more expensive than the tablet which was Cdn$99.00 and including a $25 gift card from MS and Office 365 Personal, a $69 value. Alas, I dumped the offer for Office 365 Personal as I already had a subscription for Office 365 Home with 5 licenses. :laugh:
Regards,
Bob