Who would consider this...Switching to Linux?

Rudi
gamma jay

Who would consider this...Switching to Linux?

Post by Rudi »

Switching from Windows to Linux??

The laptop I use daily (and nightly) is my work laptop. Thus, I cannot simply choose to switch to a different OS. If I had a personal PC, I'd most certainly be considering the switch to Linux...if just to test it out, give it a spin and experience the OS first hand. I have read up about Linux in the past, but recently I have read the two articles (below) that appeared in my RSS feeds and I'm getting a bit envious that I cannot make the switch and try it out!

Seriously, read these two articles! Doesn't it sound intriguing and alluring?

-- Is Moving From Windows to Linux The Right Choice For You?
-- Just Switch to Linux if You Want to Download Lots of Freeware

Who here would actually consider this (assuming you're currently on Windows)? Just interested?
Last edited by Rudi on 30 Jan 2015, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Who would consider this...

Post by HansV »

I need the Windows version of MS Office, and Internet Explorer, for work, so I'm bound to Windows...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It's been at least 10 years since people people started saying that we will all move to linux next year. I am sure it's right for some people, but for most of us it requires far too much effort, and removes far too much functionality.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

There's a free online Introduction to Linux course which you might be interested in if you can find a PC/laptop with a Linux distribution installed thereon. It might even work with a so-called "Live CD", where you run from a DVD of the ISO, and don't modify whatever is installed on the hard disk.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX John...nice link!
Regards,
Rudi

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

I actually switched to Linux Mint a couple of years ago, when I built my own home PC and was too mean to spring for a Windows licence. It did everything I wanted it to do, which was mainly web stuff, working with photos and a bit of light word processing and spreadsheeting. I switched back at the request of my grandson when it wouldn't run his (Windows) games.

Having installed Linux, followed by Windows I can only marvel at how much the Linux install was better than Windows.

Linux: Download the ISO, run the install. It installed in less than an hour and spent 20 minutes of that time downloading updates. And rebooted once. And picked up all my hardware
Windows:Download the ISO, run the install. Spend forever "just setting up", then another forever downloading updates (in small segments, with reboots every 15 minutes or so). Took all of sunday afternoon (longer if you have to stop watching it to go shopping - it always needs a keypress if you take your eyes off it)

Back to the question: I also run Linux on an Acer Chromebook that I borged to boot into LXLE linux.

I find the main distraction is that you do have to drop to a terminal for more obscure things like changing the sensitivity of a touchpad, although that's improving as well.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX all...Great feedback.
As I mentioned, I doubt I'll be able to do it since I use a work laptop 24/7, but its nice to get loungers opinions and learn from everyone's feedback. I am 100% sure though that if I get a chance to try it out on a spare PC down the line, I am definitely going that route!
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you have some room on your HD, you could create a new partition and dual-boot Windows and Linux...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I'd actually use one of those Live CD's that John mentioned...just to get the "feel" of it. I'll do that when I am inspired...
TX
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I have installed Linux on a notebook PC that I use(d) when doing work with the telescope in the night sky. I needed a lightweight OS because of the limits of the notebooks capacities. It worked quite well.

Rudi, you should pick up an inexpensive laptop and install Linux on it just to play with it. If you've never encountered UNIX before, this will give you a good taste or might even take you into a new career with this new OS.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

That's quite an enthusiastic reply Bob.
I have a colleague at work who is SOLD on Unix. The (according to his claims) has NEVER touched a windows PC. Its been Unix all the way as he says is it far superior to Windows.

As a matter of fact, I'm upgrading my work laptop in 3 weeks time. My wife will take over my current laptop as the PC she has is inferior to my current one. That leaves her current one free. I think (with her permission) that I'll experiment on that one, since the opportunity is presenting itself.

Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If you just want to play then you can download Ubuntu (or some other Unix variants), burn it to a DVD, and then boot from the DVD and run linux without having to install it. This is a great way to try out linux without having to do anything to the existing Windows software.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

As usual, Stuart is spot on!

There are many distributions (distros) of Linux. Knowing your modus operandi, I'm certain that you will research the web and pick one that suits your fancy. Most distros are free and are better every day. Unless you plan to run some arcane hardware or apps, you should not have any problems. The only problem I ever encountered was difficulty finding drivers for an older HP printer( which is no longer supported in Windows either).

Have fun. Enjoy the learning experience.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

BobH wrote:As usual, Stuart is spot on!
Hang on, I said it first! :aflame:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Who here would actually consider this (assuming you're currently on Windows)? Just interested?
Me.

I layed arpound with http://www.chrisgreaves.com/Ubuntu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a few years back.
Also something else; Peppermint rings a bell.

It was (for me) a good experience but at the time i was, like you, tied to Windows via work.

Last year I began using OpenOffice on one of my other laptops; Got along fine in Frabce for two weeks writing up my diary and web pages.
I might migrate that device to Linux/OpenOffice or some other system and maybe, one day, after I've read all the books in the library, drop Windows altogether.

I have certainly pumped enough money into various Californian Charities and Endowments and Foundations over the past 25 years ...
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Your comments are very inspiring...thanks all!

BTW: I spoke to me wife and she too is excited to try it out. Her laptop (being oldish) has been straining under Windows and Office and all the PPT's and video files...so the moment I told her that Linux is less resource intensive, she took the bait...so to speak! So I will be researching and within 3 weeks i'll give it a bash... my first Linux laptop.

Though she obviously will not use this laptop once she has mine, I still want to ensure that we can use it (if need be) to create;/edit Office files. Now I did get some fleeting info from your replies so far...Chris mentioning too that he was running OpenOffice which I know can handle 9open/edit) office files.... but let me just get some more detailed info...

If I did want to create/edit Office files, is thre any alternatives besides OpenOffice? Can I install Office 2013 on a Linux PC?
TX
Regards,
Rudi

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

The main alternative is LibreOffice, an offshoot of OpenOffice. It's available for Linux (http://www.libreoffice.org/download/lib ... sh/#change), and several articles such as http://www.datamation.com/open-source/l ... ins-1.html claim that LibreOffice is somewhat the better of the two.

There is no Office 2013 version that runs on Linux. You would have to dual-boot, or run one OS or the other in a virtual machine.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX Jay,
Does any version of Office run on Linux?
Also, I recall reading of some component that can be installed to run windows apps? I speak under correction though.
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

John Gray wrote:
BobH wrote:As usual, Stuart is spot on!
Hang on, I said it first! :aflame:

I stand humbly corrected and properly chastised! :blush:

John Gray and Stuart were BOTH spot on!.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Rudi wrote:Does any version of Office run on Linux?
No, Microsoft has never ventured into the world of Linux, as far as I know.
Best wishes,
Hans