Android App ... K9 Mail

RonH
SilverLounger

Android App ... K9 Mail

Post by RonH »

This ageing lounger is gradually getting 'up to speed' with 'toys' which now includes an Android Tablet and Android smartphone.
On both the Android tablet and smartphone, I have installed the (free) K9 Mail app which enables me to view emails from both my POP3 and my Gmail accounts.

(I first set up my POP3 in the Gmail app but it does not handle POP3 accounts smartly eg it deletes emails even when you set the POP3 account on smartphone/tablet to 'When I delete a message' ... Do not delete on server'. And the WLM pc setting is:
Email settings.JPG
I mention the above just in case others are experiencing the same issue ... its apparently an old issue that Google seem not to have resolved)[/i]

So my question about K9 Mail is what are the best Global and individual account settings on Android tablet WiFi only and smartphone WiFi/mobilenet. I guess I am hoping that we have users of this highly recommended app for email handling :thankyou:
Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Android App ... K9 Mail

Post by StuartR »

Sorry, I can't help with this one, I just use the native gMail and Email apps on my Android tablet and phone.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hi Ron,
A quick reply, perhaps I can come back when I have more time, and have had a look at the settings.

I use K9 on one phone; very good software, even if some oddities in SE translation I think. I'm only using it with some of my "POP3" accounts, as you say, not Gmail. I only did some minor changes, I think; as for Global settings: most of the time I do not want software to sync, or download, in the background, since I might be using an open Wi-Fi or similar, so that one is off. As for individual account settings, at the moment they do not download images (inline, inside the mail), as a security precaution (same in my e-mail client on the desktops); you can do some tweaks there (only download from contacts etc.). I don't think I've changed folder sync (how many, how much). As you I would like a copy on the server (obviously it should also leave a copy on the server when polling, retrieving so it can be downloaded to a desktop). From some account I think I also send a copy to myself, BCC, just in case, for outgoing mail. :smile:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I've been using Kmail for as log as I had an android phone/tablet, I always just set it to not deleting anything off the server and have never had a problem with it.
Cheers, Claude.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for your comments folks.
A bit to learn yet about K9 ... it has many settings so 'practice makes perfect' perhaps. The User Guide helps, though 'Folder' actions need a bit of a study!
K9 'Do not Delete' feature is ideal if one uses the pc as the prime 'toy'.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.