long running script

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: long running script

Post by Rudi »

I'm not a systems engineer, but the maintenance you refer to is disc maintenance and will not affect your browser in great degree. I speak under correction but a browser is affected by malware, clogged up temp files, cache, add-ons and extension and ram memory. Defragging and cleaning up your hard drive is good and has its advantages, but has little to do with browser performance. Here is a list of 12 things to do to Speed Up Internet Explorer. Not all are critical, but its something to work with...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Rudy,

Thanks for the reply. I understand your comments about disc clean up and the performance of my computer. I will certainly look over the 12 things you suggested to speed up my computer performance for IE. By the way, without looking what they entail, will they improve my computer performance in general, or just improve IE? Again, thanks, Rudy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Most of the suggestions affect Internet Explorer only, but running an anti-malware utility such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and a cleanup utility such as CCleaner from time to time will also help Windows in general running cleanly and smoothly.
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Rudy,

In looking at and taking some suggestions with12 things to speed up IE that you posted, I saw the issue with favorites. To say I have many favorites stored on IE would be an understatement. When I click on favorites on the menu bar, it brings up all my favorites so I can access them easily. But, if having so many favorites listed on the favorites tab is slowing up my system, I would like to try moving them to I believe, a file was suggested? I can follow the directions but if something goes wrong I would hate to lose all those favorites I have built up over the years. First, if I screw something up trying to move favorites to a file, will I lose those favorites, or bookmarks? Bookmarks is what Firefox calls them, and I have the same number of them there. Second, when I move those favorites to a file, will I still be able to view them the same way I currently do? They are all in a precise order that I have spent time organizing them into. Would appreciate your input. Thank you, again.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can create a backup copy of all your favorites in another folder, and/or on another disk. That way, if anything goes wrong, you'll still have a copy of each and every favorite.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

To complement Hans's reply, see these two links to guide you through the process of backing up your favorites:

-- How to import and export the Internet Explorer Favorites folder

-- How to Import and Export Favorites in Internet Explorer (with screenshots)
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I always relocate my Favorites folder to my data drive, so that my IE favorites get backed up every night along with my data files.
StuartR

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Rudy,

Looking at the info---link, you sent about importing and exporting favorites, it doesn't seem to explain anything about backing those favorites up before I do the procedure? You suggested I back my favorites up before doing the import/export procedure. Also, I believe system is a 64 bit's not 32, as the link seem to refer to. From a neophyte's point of view, will that make any difference with my Windows 7 and IE 7 system? Also, when I partially performed the exercise and clicked on add to favorites from my favorites menu bar, I didn't see the prompt or the next instruction import and export after I clicked on add to favorites like the first instruction said and that box came up, like I believe it said? Maybe I'm missing something here, or it's just my inexperience in working with computers, but the instructions didn't seem to match what I saw? Can you explain? Again, thank you for your help and patience with this rookie.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

sciencemagic wrote:... you sent about importing and exporting favorites, it doesn't seem to explain anything about backing those favorites up before I do the procedure? ...
Hi,

The links I posted IS the backup procedure.
If you export your favourites to a folder on your PC, it exports all the address info of your favourite web locations. (This becomes the backup of your favourites.)
Once you have finished the cleanup process on your browser, you can then re-import all these favourites back into IE using the import process.
I hope that clarifies it more.
Regards,
Rudi

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Hi Rudy,

Thanks for the reply. I believe I understand your comments. But, when you suggested I re-import those favorites back into IE when I "clean up" my browser, I thought the idea to possibly speed up my IE browser was to put those favorites--because there's so many, in a file and I presume retrieve them from there and not from my favorites tab on the menu bar like I have been doing? If this sounds out of wack, or I'm mistaken, it's just my inexperience with dealing with this matter.
By the way, I have used CCleaner and Malwarebytes anti malware program on my system. And, unfortunately I really don't notice any difference. I do still get the long running script and IE not responding message when a web site seems long in loading. This again is not all sites, just some of them. Unfortunately, they happen to be web sites I frequent often. I thought moving my favorites as per the 12 things that may help browser operation may help my system? Thank you, Rudy.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

Sorry, I lost track of your original query to do with optimizing your browser.
Yes, one of the 12 ways was to clean up your favorites, hence the discussion on exporting your links. However, once exported, you cannot easily navigate to these favorites since they are outside of the browser.

If you have followed through on the 12 steps to optimize your browser, there is not much more that I can recommend. Those 12 steps are basically it for doing cleanup and optimization. If you are still experiencing issues with IE, the only other option is to use a different browser like FF or Chrome. Alternatively is to uninstall and reinstall IE to see if that will clear up any overlooked or deeper problems.

Regarding your wealth of bookmarks; you might want to look into a Bookmark Manager to store, manage and launch your bookmarks without them clogging up your browser. I have scanned the web and it seems that the free (lite) version of Linkman seems to have excellent ratings as a manager. On the link below is a full video tutorial on how to use Linkman. See: Linkman.

Remember that is you choose to uninstall/reinstall IE, ensure you have made a recent backup of your favorites first.
Regards,
Rudi

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Rudy,

Again, thank you for your reply and patience in dealing with my inexperience with solving computer problems, Rudy. I will look into Linkman's Bookmark manager. I suppose a lot of my IE issues can be resolved by just not using the browser, and using Firefox or Chrome. I may just for grins try your recommendation of uninstalling and reinstalling IE, and see if the browser improves? I will also revisit the 12 ways to improve IE, to make sure I got all 12.
I do appreciate very much your help Rudy, and again being patient with a novice like myself.