iOS 8 Update – What’s New, What’s Not, What’s Worth Waiting

Rudi
gamma jay

iOS 8 Update – What’s New, What’s Not, What’s Worth Waiting

Post by Rudi »

Here’s a list of resources you’ll find helpful as you make the decision to upgrade to iOS 8.
These websites and articles address features, benefits and concerns regarding this new mobile operating system, including whether to stay with the previous version of Apple’s iOS(iOS 7.1.2) for older devices such as the iPad 2 or iPhone 4S.

Apple iOS 8
iOS 8 – What’s New
iPad User Guides – iOS 8

Comprehensive Review
iOS 8, thoroughly reviewed | Ars Technica

Upgrading and Installing
How to upgrade to iOS 8 (and downgrade to iOS 7 if you regret it) | Macworld UK
The Most Common iOS 8 Upgrade Problems and Solutions | iMobie
A slide into obsolescence: iOS 8 on the iPad 2 | Ars Technica
Last Chance for iOS 8 Downgrade to iOS 7 | gottabemobile
How to install iOS 8 without deleting anything on iPhone, iPad | Tech Times
Upgrading to iOS 8 on an Old Phone? Prepare for Trouble, but Do It Anyway | NYTimes.com

Features and Tips
15 Insanely Great Tricks to Master Apple’s iOS 8 | Wired
iOS 8 Tips and tricks: See what your iPhone and iPad can do now | Pocket Lint
12 iOS 8 features you’ll want to use | Computerworld

Before you update to iOS 8, please read this warning from Tom’s Guide
Finally, there’s iCloud Drive, a cloud storage system that replaces Apple’s current iCloud document
syncing, but provides an actual file system, a la Dropbox. Note that iCloud Drive is not supported by
the current version of OS X; if you rely on syncing documents or app data with your Mac via iCloud,
do not activate iCloud Drive once you’ve updated to iOS 8. OS X Yosemite’s release, coming later
this fall, will add support for the new system. Users of Windows machines, or those who only use iOS
devices, should be able to activate the feature without any concern.

Quoted from here...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: iOS 8 Update – What’s New, What’s Not, What’s Worth Wait

Post by BobArch2 »

Wow, you sure did youR research! I have an iPad(3) and updated to iOS8 within a couple of days of its release. From beginning to end, it took close to 2 hours. At one stage I was really getting worried as to whether the update would succeed. But it finally finished without any issues.

Then iOS8.0.1 was released but recalled before I updated. Shortly after, iOS8.0.2 was released and that is where I sit right now.

Initially I waited in order to update my apps before doing the iOS8 upgrade. Assuming that was the better way to go. However, updates to apps for iOS8 compatibility are still coming through.
Regards,
Bob

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: iOS 8 Update – What’s New, What’s Not, What’s Worth Wait

Post by Rudi »

I had no issues with the update of both my iPad(3) and my iPhone 5S. I connected them to my PC and updated via iTunes. The updates took only about 20 minutes to go through. Fortunately both devices had enough space on them to update successfully too. I am skeptical in doing updates OTA and oftentimes first download the ipsw file via iTunes and then do the update. It is MUCH faster and MUCH safer. I have had no issues with the new iOS and like you jumped from the initial iOS8 to iOS8.0.2. loving the new features. :cheers:

PS: About the opening post...Its a hobby to read up on the new stuff as I want to discover every hidden gem in the new offerings...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.