64 Bit IE 11 for Windows 7

RonH
SilverLounger

64 Bit IE 11 for Windows 7

Post by RonH »

Because of recent problems with Chrome, I installed their beta 64 bit version ... didn't solve my browser synch problem :sad: but it works OK as a general browser and I am not in the mood to revert back to their 32 bit.

I then had to install Java 64 bit on the beta Chrome browser ... unfortunately my bank still insist on using Java :groan:

Also on my pc is IE 11 which needs the 32 bit Java if I use it for eg banking. So I find that I have two Java versions now installed.
I thought it would be a good idea to install the 64 bit IE 11 (and then uninstall the 32 bit Java) but this post suggests that the 64 bit IE is auto installed by Microsoft on 64 bit machines:
IE.JPG
But I can't find it? When I go to the Microsoft site they simply state that I have the latest version installed eg the 32 bit IE 11 and there is no link to a 64 bit browser via Search as best I can determine.

Has MS withdrawn the 64 bit version?

Thanks Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: 64 Bit IE 11 for Windows 7

Post by HansV »

Starting with IE10, the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer are integrated. If you have 64-bit Windows, the main IE application window will be 64-bit. By default, the individual tabs are 32-bit. If you'd like to have the tabs 64-bit too (which means that you won't be able to use ActiveX plugins), you have to turn on Enhanced Protected Mode:

In IE, select Tools > Internet Options.
Activate the Advanced tab.
Scroll down to the Security section.
Tick the check boxes "Enable 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protected Mode" and "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode".
Activate the Security tab.
Make sure that the Internet zone is selected.
If the check box "Enable Protected Mode" is clear, tick it.
Click OK.
Quit IE, then restart Windows.

Also see How to Enable 64-bit Processes for Enhanced Protected Mode in Internet Explorer 11 (IE11)
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Re: 64 Bit IE 11 for Windows 7

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans ... what a mine of information you are :clapping:
I enabled the 64 bit and most of my active plug ins are for both 32 and 64 and function OK. So I will leave the IE 11 at 64 bit for now to see.
One less Java to worry about :grin:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.