Cannot uninstall Yahoo toolbar

jmt356
SilverLounger

Cannot uninstall Yahoo toolbar

Post by jmt356 »

I installed a program that caused several hidden programs and settings to be installed on my computer. One of these is the Yahoo toolbar for Internet Explorer. When I try to uninstall it, I get the error, “This action is restricted. For more information, please contact your system administrator.” I am the administrator. What do I do?
Regards,

JMT

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Cannot uninstall Yahoo toolbar

Post by BobH »

If you know the date and time that the crap was added, go back to a restore point prior to that date and time and restore the system. You can always reinstall anything that you've installed since that restore point, but I would be extremely vigilant about what transpires as you do so.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

unfortunately, these days, you should never do an "automatic install", always do a "custom install" which generally gives you a chance to reject all he bloatware that creeps in. For interests sake, what did you install ?
Cheers, Claude.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I second Bobs advice to run a previous restore point. It is the best way to ensure removal of any hidden junk from that day.
On the side; a reason why it might not have installed is possibly due to it being in use at the time. If you close IE and all related apps (and even check the task manager to see if any suspicious apps are running in that list, and close them), then attempt the uninstall (using Revo Uninstaller - of course), it should work.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I installed 7-zip from http://www.free-download-now.com/en/7-z ... eforge.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It was actually by accident; I thought I was installing another program.
It also installed ArcadeParlor and Baidu PC Faster.
Fortunately, I was able to uninstall the Yahoo Toolbar, ArcadeParlor and Baidu PC Faster through the Windows Programs and Features dialogue. Unfortunately, it seems that the more I use my computer, the more I find some other unwanted junk that was installed on my computer.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I try to avoid download sites such as the one you mention (www.free-download-now.com, and use the developer's site where possible, but even then I get offers for unwanted software from time to time.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I always recommend using a third party uninstaller like, Revo Uninstaller or Advanced Uninstaller to dig out the hidden lines of code that are left over from some uninstallers that merely delete the folder and not much more.
With a really tough stubborn one, then use Unlocker to get rid of it.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.