iOS7(.1) - New/Hidden Nice to Knows

Rudi
gamma jay

iOS7(.1) - New/Hidden Nice to Knows

Post by Rudi »

For those who use iPad/iPhone with iOS7(.1)...here is a few nice to knows which is worth a mention.
Please add to the list if you have discovered anything else.

Camera: If you want to shoot in burst mode, taking multiple shots in quick succession, just click and hold the volume-up button.
BTW: You can take pictures with either Volumne Up or Volumne Down buttons too.

Quit multiple apps: You probably know that you can quit running apps by double-tapping the Home button and flicking the offending app upwards, but you might not have tried it with multiple fingers to force-quit more than one app at a time.

Compass has a hidden Spirit level: If you launch the app you'll see the familiar dots at the bottom of the screen that indicate there's a second screen: swipe it and you'll see a spirit level for all your checking-things-are-level needs.

Siri reads emails and does other tasks: Siri makes light work of not only listing emails in your inbox, but also reading them out to you. Hold down the Home button and say, "Read my emails" and Siri will give you sender, time and date sent, and the subject of each in turn. When asked if you want it to read out your mail, just say "Yes".
BTW: Did you know that you can ask her/him/it to play your voicemail or return your last missed call? Simply say "Return missed call" or "Do I have new voicemail?" and Siri will snap to it. You can also tell Siri "Check my call history" and get a list of your recent calls. Siri also has a "scream" mode that can be activated under Siri setting. With scream mode active, Siri will let out a lengthy and persistent scream if anyone other than the owner speaks to handles the phone. (Useful to frighten toddlers from playing with the device!)

One folder to rule them all: Unlike previous versions of iOS, there's no limit to the number of apps you can file away in a single folder. Now you can simply pile icons onto each other to your heart's content. Finally, an end to the Games 1, Games 2, Games 3, etc...

Analog or Digital World Clock: While viewing the World Clock view in the Clock app, you can easily switch between an analog and digital clock face by tapping any of the current clock faces.

Close All Safari Tabs: Now that Safari no longer has a tab limit, you may find yourself with a plethora of tabs open at some point. Instead removing them individually, you can close all tabs. To do so, tap the Tabs icon, tap Private in the lower-left and tap Close All.

Correct Siri’s Pronunciation: If Siri has a habit of mispronouncing your name (or anything else), you can finally do something about it. When Siri says your name incorrectly: Tap Siri’s button and say “you didn’t pronounce my name correctly”. Siri will apologize and ask how you pronounce your name, providing a few audible onscreen options.

FaceTime - Don't look at me!: Whether you're ill, hung over or just feeling ugly, you'll be glad to know that you can now make a FaceTime call without video. To make an audio only call using FaceTime select the contact you want and then just tap the telephone icon to the right of the FaceTime option.

There....I think that's enough for now... :cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: iOS7(.1) - New/Hidden Nice to Knows

Post by BobH »

Good tips!

Thanks, Rudi!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Will second BobH's comment... Good Tips!

Thanks.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Bob (Archell),

Long time no see! How are you? (At the end of last year you mentioned that you were recovering from knee/hip problems, if I remember correctly)
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX Bob and Bob

The above I extracted for my own purposes from this complete article.
Also worth a peruse is this link that helps identify battery power hoggers in the iDevices. (If you don't use them, lose them!)
Regards,
Rudi

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Hi Bob (Archell),

Long time no see! How are you? (At the end of last year you mentioned that you were recovering from knee/hip problems, if I remember correctly)
Your memory, as usual, is correct. :grin: 2013 was not a good year. Starting with elective surgery on the left knee in March and ending with repairing a fractured hip in September. Things are improving, what with walking the dog 3x a day (total of about 5km) and Aquafit 3x a week. I am certainly more cautious with my surroundings now and mobility is improving.

Thanks for asking.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad to hear that 2014 is better than 2013. Thanks for the update!
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Rudi wrote:TX Bob and Bob

The above I extracted for my own purposes from this complete article.
Also worth a peruse is this link that helps identify battery power hoggers in the iDevices. (If you don't use them, lose them!)
Hi Rudi,

Thanks for the additional links. I will certainly look at the battery tips. After installing iOS7, followed by iOS7.1, my perception is that the battery on my iPad(3) is draining faster. Perhaps the initial install of iOS7 reset some of my previous battery saving settings.

Thanks again...
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

BobArch2 wrote:
HansV wrote:Hi Bob (Archell),

Your memory, as usual, is correct. :grin: 2013 was not a good year. Starting with elective surgery on the left knee in March and ending with repairing a fractured hip in September. Things are improving, what with walking the dog 3x a day (total of about 5km) and Aquafit 3x a week. I am certainly more cautious with my surroundings now and mobility is improving.

Thanks for asking.
Here's wishing you a speedy return to full mobility and the complete absence of pain. You have my deepest sympathies (hip and knee replaced a few years ago), although if you are walking 5 km a day, you must be doing very well.

:cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:...wishing you a speedy return to full mobility... :cheers:
And if you take those battery tips into account, you will can return to full battery strength mobility as well :grin:
Regards,
Rudi