A replacement for XP

June Bug
Lounger

A replacement for XP

Post by June Bug »

If you are wondering what to do with your XP machines when Microsoft stops support I've discovered something you might be interested in. It's a Linux based operating system called Zorin.

This distro is amazingly similar to Windows 7. Although I haven't tried it there is also an interface that is similar to XP included with the system. If you're new to Linux or want to try it this is (IMHO) the distro you should use to get started. I've found it much more user friendly than Ubuntu.

I've set up Zorin on two laptops and a desktop that were previously running XP and they work like a champ. The installation package recognizes what drivers you need and installs them and mine worked perfectly. I had some concerns about the Wi-Fi but the installer figured it out and wireless works.

Zorin also recognizes your network, if you have one, and you can set up file sharing easily with Windows. Printer set-up is also easy. I didn't attach a printer to a computer running Zorin but can print on my network printer without problems.

Chrome is the browser that is installed with Zorin but you can go to the software center and download Firefox. (Glad to get rid of IE.)

The download is huge, (1.5) GB. You would think it would take a lot of power to run the OS but surprisingly it runs very well on a machine with only 512 Mb of memory.

I don't have stock in Zorin but found an alternative to Windows that works well and is free.
Last edited by June Bug on 16 Jan 2014, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
:music:

JB

HansV
Administrator

Re: A replacement for XP

Post by HansV »

Interesting - thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Thanks June, I'll take a look at it.
Cheers, Claude.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX JB.
Could you add it to add it to this thread.

:cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

June Bug
Lounger

Post by June Bug »

Rudi wrote:TX JB.
Could you add it to add it to this thread.

:cheers:
Certainly, if the administrators have no problem with it being posted twice.
:music:

JB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's OK - go ahead.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Microsoft announced yesterday that the security updates for XP have been extended until the middle of July 2015.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

John Gray wrote:Microsoft announced yesterday that the security updates for XP have been extended until the middle of July 2015.
Close but no cigar! XP end of life still happens in April 2014 but updates to MSE for XP will no longer end at the same time.

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

True, I was missled.
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Who was she? :innocent:
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

OK, perhaps it should have been "ms-led"...!
John Gray

ringel05
NewLounger

Post by ringel05 »

Zorin OS is probably the best crossover distro for those migrating from M$ to Linux as it's menu setup is more Windows like giving the new Linux user a somewhat familiar interface.
I just tested Zorin OS 9 Core, one of the free versions, worked flawlessly gives the user a choice between a Win XP, Win 7 or Gnome 2 look. All the drivers for my Win 8.1 machine loaded (including wifi) without issue, i was using a Live CD. The Software Center (where, for the newbies, different programs are downloaded and installed from) is well populated as Zorin is built on the back of Ubuntu.
There is a Lite version for those with older machines and Paid premium versions, Ultimate and Business at a cost of a 9.99 donation for each.
For those who don't know what a live CD is Linux allows the user to tryout the operating system without installing it on ones system. Since it's working off the CD/DVD it's somewhat slower and doesn't provide all the features the installed version has.
Also if you're a serious gamer the Linux setup has very limited gaming options so currently would not be a good option. Game developers and distributes don't like opensource because it's more difficult to protect their investment so main stream games are not written for Linux. Also programs like Wine are still very limited as to what M$ based games it will run in Linux.

vnjdhd
NewLounger

Post by vnjdhd »

Manjaro xfce edition or maybe linux mint

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

vnjdhd wrote:Manjaro xfce edition or maybe linux mint
You do realize that you are posting in a thread that is six (6) years old ??? :innocent:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions