Where is Windows 11 Quick Launch Toolbar

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Where is Windows 11 Quick Launch Toolbar

Post by hlewton »

In the past I have asked some programs to install a shortcuts to Windows 11 Quick Launch Toolbar. I quickly learned that was unnecessary. So, if there is actually a Windows 11 Quick Launch Toolbar, how do I access it to remove or unpin those shortcuts?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Where is Windows 11 Quick Launch Toolbar

Post by HansV »

Windows 11 does not have taskbar toolbars anymore. You can pin items to the taskbar instead.

You can probably bring back the Quick Launch Toolbar using a third-party utility, but I wouldn't bother. Chances are the feature will disappear completely in a future update.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 13:54
Windows 11 does not have taskbar toolbars anymore. You can pin items to the taskbar instead.

You can probably bring back the Quick Launch Toolbar using a third-party utility, but I wouldn't bother. Chances are the feature will disappear completely in a future update.
Thanks for that information. I don't want the quick launch toolbar but I do know some of the programs I installed asked me and I said yes to placing a shortcut on the quick launch toolbar.

On one of my computers occasionally all of the pinned shortcuts on the taskbar do not show. To get them, I either have to reboot or restart Windows Explorer using the Task Manager. So, today I happened to be watching the taskbar as it booted up and I saw all the shortcuts that should be there and then a very quick flash of what appeared to be more shortcuts extending to where the quick launch toolbar would be. I thought that may have been the quick launch taskbar. If so, I wanted to remove any shortcuts on it, thinking that could be the reason I have to reboot or restart Windows Explorer.

Now here is the situation with that computer. It was first loaded with Windows 10 and also, I believe, I had shortcuts on the quick launch toolbar on it. It was then upgraded to a Windows 11 machine. Could the quick flash be a flashback to when the Quick Launch Toolbar was being used on the then Win 10 machine? If that could be the case, is there any way to located and delete it?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The folder for the Quick Launch Toolbar still exists, and you can view it in File Explorer.
Enter or copy/paste the following in the address bar of File Explorer, then press Enter:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Warning: Do NOT delete this folder NOR its User Pinned subfolder. It is safe to delete shortcuts in this folder though.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. I will be very careful.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

So, if I am understanding correctly, I can delete all that is inside the Red box but do not delete what the Red arrow is pointing to in the attachment. Is that correct?
Quick.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, exactly.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 13:54
...You can probably bring back the Quick Launch Toolbar using a third-party utility, but I wouldn't bother. Chances are the feature will disappear completely in a future update.
Explorer Patcher (EP)
    https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher
will allow you to restore the Quick Launch Toolbar in Win 11. However, EP does not auto-update so when (not if) a regular MS monthly Win 11 update breaks EP you have manually check for an update to EP and if there is one available, download and install it. If there is no update you have to do without the features of EP and wait until the developer of EP fixes the problem.

Ken

Neilwade
NewLounger

Post by Neilwade »

Hello, :)

If you like, you could pin the %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch folder to the taskbar using option 8 in the tutorial below.

It's not the same, but at least you can quickly open the folder.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Did you intend to post a link?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Neilwade wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 06:03
Hello, :)

If you like, you could pin the %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch folder to the taskbar using option 8 in the tutorial below.

It's not the same, but at least you can quickly open the folder.
Thanks but actually I want nothing to do with that folder. I just wanted to remove the programs I pinned to it before realizing the quick launch was not needed.
Regards,
hlewton