Default Apps

BobH
UraniumLounger

Default Apps

Post by BobH »

My browser of choice is Firefox. In its settings, I see that it is my default browser. Why, then, does Bing appear when I'm performing various tasks?

Here is the most recent example. I looked in my apps for Filezilla. It is not installed (although I'm pretty sure I downloaded and installed it some months ago, but that's a different, unrelated, issue). When I typed "Filezilla" in the search bar, the app appeared with the option to download it. When I clicked on the download button, Bing was loaded.

I find this very annoying. Why can't I set my browser preference once and for all in Windows 11 and ever after have only that preferred browser offered to me?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Default Apps

Post by HansV »

Bing is not a browser but a search engine. Perhaps Edge was the browser that opened? Microsoft has a tendency to use Edge instead of your default browser.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

You are not alone, it's not you. I too use / have set Firefox as my default browser on Win 11 but if I use the search feature on the Taskbar and then click on something it finds / suggests that's not on my machine but on the web, then the link opens in MS Edge, not Firefox.

Solution? Only click on something suggested by the search feature if it's something it's found on your PC. For all other searching, open Firefox and then search by typing into the address bar.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can disable web search (and hence Bing) when you search from the Start button/Search icon, by editing the registry. The usual warnings apply.

There are two options; you need to choose only one of them.

Option 1:
- Start RegEdit, and allow it to make changes to your computer.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.
- Create a new key under CurrentVersion and name it Search.
- Create a new DWORD value in Search, and name it BingSearchEnabled. Its value will be 0, which is what you want.
- Restart File Explorer, either from Task Manager or by restarting your computer.

Option 2:
- Start RegEdit, and allow it to make changes to your computer.
- Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows.
- If there is no subkey named Explorer, create a new key under Windows and name it Explorer. Otherwise, select Explorer.
- Create a new DWORD value in Explorer, name it DisableSearchBoxSuggestions, and set its value to 1.
- Restart File Explorer, either from Task Manager or by restarting your computer.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans.

I'm still functioning in a foggy haze induced by painkillers. That I confused Bing with a browser is a consequence of that fact. Even so, my search engine of choice is duckduckgo; so the question still applies, somewhat. Why can't Windows 11 just accept my defaults and stop imposing its choices under those circumstances? What's the point in having defaults? Those questions are rhetorical, of course. Microsoft will impose its choices on us and we are helpless in opposing them. If I were a bit younger and more mentally alert, I'd drop Windows and go to Linux. No doubt there would be different set of irritants. I remember all too well the years and years of having IE thrust upon us by its entanglements with the os. I guess its demise is proof that even the Redmund juggernaut does eventually adjust.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

BobH wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 21:30
Thanks, Hans.

I'm still functioning in a foggy haze induced by painkillers. That I confused Bing with a browser is a consequence of that fact. Even so, my search engine of choice is duckduckgo; so the question still applies, somewhat. Why can't Windows 11 just accept my defaults and stop imposing its choices under those circumstances? What's the point in having defaults? Those questions are rhetorical, of course. Microsoft will impose its choices on us and we are helpless in opposing them. If I were a bit younger and more mentally alert, I'd drop Windows and go to Linux. No doubt there would be different set of irritants. I remember all too well the years and years of having IE thrust upon us by its entanglements with the os. I guess its demise is proof that even the Redmund juggernaut does eventually adjust.
Sorry Bob, but I beg to differ. M$ is just using different tactics these days. You can read other places where I complain about ONEDRIVE trying to take all my data.

Hope your health improves.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, PJ.

I have the same problem with the onedrive putsch. :barf:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)