Movie Maker in Windows 10 Pro is missing

jmt356
SilverLounger

Movie Maker in Windows 10 Pro is missing

Post by jmt356 »

I recently installed Windows 10 Pro on my laptop. It is Version 22H2 (OS build 19045.2846).

In my previous version of Windows, I had a program called Movie Maker. I believe it was native to Windows. I was easily able to go into any video and crop portions or splice videos together. I don't have that application any more. Does anyone know what happened to it or where to get it?

There is an app in the Windows Store called Movie Maker - Video Editor, but I do not believe it is the native Windows app.
Regards,

JMT

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: Movie Maker in Windows 10 Pro is missing

Post by Rebel »

A quick Google search reveals that the Microsoft version of Windows Movie Maker was discontinued by Microsoft quite some time ago. Its final release was in April of 2014 and was formerly included with Windows ME, XP and Vista.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Windows Movie Maker is part of Windows Live Essentials but that was discontinued a long time ago, see here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 900945f2a9

However, it does run on Win 10 Pro. I installed it on my Win 10 Pro machine as recently as last October because I needed a quick simple way of doing something to a short video I'd recorded using my Canon DSLR camera. I can't remember where I got the WLE installer from, possibly via this page:
    https://archive.org/details/wlsetup-all_201802

Ken

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Use Windows Search and look for Video editor app. This is the video editor that came with Windows 10. Strangely it is part of the Windows Photos app, so when you load Windows Photos, the top menu will also have a link to the Video editor.

When you load Video editor it will suggest to install Microsoft Clipchamp which is a simple and yet more capable video editor than the above. You can see the difference between the free and paid version here.