Laptop Doesn’t ‘See’ Wi-Fi Network

BobH
UraniumLounger

Laptop Doesn’t ‘See’ Wi-Fi Network

Post by BobH »

Friend’s laptop won’t connect to his home network but connects to my network without a problem. I can connect my iPad to his network. SSID and passwords for router and Wi-Fi are known known and work on my iPad. His laptop network adapter is on and working. Network troubleshooting says only that no network is selected, of course

Searching online has not yet revealed a solution. Anyon?=e? :cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Laptop Doesn’t ‘See’ Wi-Fi Network

Post by stuck »

Which wifi protocol does your friend's network use? It should be using WPA2.

I seem to remember my Win 10 work laptop wouldn't connect to my home network (it was fine using a cable) because for some reason my router was using WPA. Changing it to WPA2 solved the connection problem.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Ken.

The router usesWPA-2 and I attempted to add the network using wpa2 but it still doesn’t show the network in the list.

I’ve tried deleting networks defined on the lt and rebooting thr lt without success
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I would use a WiFi analysis app on a smartphone to see what the signal looks like. Maybe it is 5Ghz only, and your friends laptop only sees 2.4Ghz networks, or maybe it uses a frequency that is only legal in some countries
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

StuartR wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 06:53
I would use a WiFi analysis app on a smartphone to see what the signal looks like. Maybe it is 5Ghz only, and your friends laptop only sees 2.4Ghz networks, or maybe it uses a frequency that is only legal in some countries
B I N G O !!!!!!! Give that man the kewpie doll of his choice.

That is exactly what I learned, although it took me a bit to find. It has been so long since I've seen a wifi adapter that uses only 2.4 GHz that I didn't grasp it right away. It was only after searching for more info about the adapter that I learned it only uses the 2.4 GHz band. What was even more surprising was finding a router supplied by the ISP that only transmits the 5.0 GHz band. The router has the capability for both but somehow only transmits at 5.0.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

So how will you resolve this then?
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've seen where a router is supposed to automatically pick the correct frequency but did not do so, therefore, manual separation is required. Usually, you can go into the router admin pages and separate the two frequencies into unique access points. When you do this just be sure to append something similar to "-5g" to the 5GHz band SSID to readily identify it.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Friend's wife's laptop fails to see the 2.4GHz band. I called the ISP. Although their diagnostics saw no problem, a field tech said that he has seen the problem before. They will schedule a field call. I told my friend to insist that they replace the device then test to be sure that both frequencies are being transmitted and that he can see the SSID for 2.4.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)