RAV Antivirus issues

bknight
BronzeLounger

RAV Antivirus issues

Post by bknight »

I have win10 installed in only one machine, the one I use daily. The antivirus comes up with a suspicious file detected every day and I click it is ok and another pop say it has been sent to the "excluded" file Db or words to that effect. Well today I'm attempting to search for the file. The file in the suspicious pop-up looks like C:\Users\username\appdata\microsoft\excel\~ar4040.xar. The problem is appdata is hidden. what setting would allow me to see the hidden files, and continue searching?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: RAV Antivirus issues

Post by BobH »

Click on the WIndows Search icon at the bottom of your screen and enter Control Panel. In the Search panel at the top of the CP screen, type in Hidden Files. You should (will?) get the File Explorer Options screen. Click on Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Click the gear icon at the bottom of your screen to get to Settings. In the Search Panel enter File Explorer Options. In the window presented click on the View tab then click on the radio button for Show hidden files, folders and drives. Click OK and Bob's your uncle.

There may be a less circuitous way to reach those options, but that it the route I found that works.

Good Luck! Let us know how you get on.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I applied that setting although not in the way you suggested, might be different versions, but got there and selected the roadio for show hidden files. Refresher the search and appdata is still not visible. Does one need to resart the machine for this to take affect?

ETA: I did select the Apply button also.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you select 'Show hidden files, folders and drives', you should see C:\Users\<username>\AppData in File Explorer / Windows Explorer.
But Windows Search does not necessarily search AppData with the default settings.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

The appdata folder was here although it was poorly shaded, but I opened it to find local/locallow/roaming but I have shut the notification down for today, I'll have to pick it up again tomorrow. I do suspect that it is the workbook you aided me with some buttons, but that is only a speculation at this point.
Thanks to both at this point.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A .xar file is an AutoRecovery file created by Excel. In order to see them, you not only have to show hidden files, but you must also clear the check box "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".
You can do the following:
Quit Excel completely.
Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel.
Delete all .xar files.
I recommend ticking the check box "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" again after that!
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

I unchecked the op sys files and searched for *.xar; two files deleted. Checked the op sys files. Now we'll wait for tomorrow, because this occurred every day. Thanks
Terry

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Been on vacation, and got back tis AM still have the pop up with the .xar file. I'll go and delete it(them) one more time.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Decided to search and destroy before I get busy. Found three files this time and deleted, so another watch for tomorrow.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

The notice shoed again, ran a search and found five files;~ar1D64.xar;~ar1B01.xar;~ar199A;~ar6844.xar;~ar52A5.xar.
Deleted them.
Is there a way to open them or find the complete file address, to find the file(s) they are attached, to prevent this from happening?
Perhaps uninstalling RAV?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I haven't used a third-party antivirus utility for more than 13 years now. The one that comes with Windows (called Windows Defender or Windows Security, depending on you version of Windows) provides excellent protection and is very unobtrusive. If you uninstall your current antivirus utility, Windows Defender/Security should kick in automatically.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Done, but I get notifications to turn on Defender. I go to the settings and everything is OK. maybe this will stop once the ;ap is started/restarted.

bknight
BronzeLounger

Post by bknight »

Since uninstalling RAV no notifications and still have a few of the recovery *.xar files. S I'll live with them

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Seems good now. I wouldn't worry about the .xar files.
Best wishes,
Hans