The app you are trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

The app you are trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leaving aside the fact that an Application that does NOT come from Microsoft might be a Good Thing, I am wondering why I see this pop-up obstacle when I try to install CCleaner (a) from the downloaded installer or (b) from the standalone zip file, both files obtained from the CCleaner web site ten minutes ago?
Is this just another instance of Microsoft claiming that it Knows What Is Good For Me?

I mean!

FWIW I would have thought that a reputable product product such as CCleaner would have long ago established its credentials with Mommy.
Are we moving towards a state where, every time I use the Backspace key I will be greeted with a cautionary epistle that the Delete key might be safer, providing I use the index finger of my right hand?
(signed) "YouKnowWho" of Bonavista.
P.S. I don't ever recall seeing this suggestion that I am an idiot from previous versions of CCleaner.
Of course, this might be an indication that I would be better off writing my own Cookie monitor in Word2003 VBA.
C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

StuartR
Administrator

Re: The ap you are trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified ap

Post by StuartR »

Did you try clicking on the "Change my app recommendation settings" link? That should take you to a settings page where you can tell Windows not to display this warning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: The ap you are trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified ap

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 12:54
Did you try clicking on the "Change my app recommendation settings" link? That should take you to a settings page where you can tell Windows not to display this warning.
Thanks, Stuart, I did not take "this suggestion that I am an idiot" seriously, just as I don't seriously entertain the idea that Microsoft is a software company (They are a marketing company, and a very good one at that).
I was puzzled mainly by what appeared to me to be a suddenly elevated interest in my cognitive state of mind :evilgrin:

That didn't used to happen until after I started reading John Stuart Mill's "A System of Logic, Ratiocinative and Inductive, Being a Connected View of the Principles of Evidence, and the Methods of Scientific Investigation"
Cheers
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: The app you are trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app

Post by stuck »

I didn't know the setting Stuart points to existed. Having looked at it, mine is set to 'Anywhere', which explains why I've never seen the warning that Chris fell foul of.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: The app you are trying to install isn't a Microsoft-verified app

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 16:55
I didn't know the setting Stuart points to existed. Having looked at it, mine is set to 'Anywhere', which explains why I've never seen the warning that Chris fell foul of.
" ... that fell foul of the pedant." :cranky: :cranky: :cranky: :cranky: :cranky: :cranky:

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

App you are trying to install isn't Microsoft. Pay up or we'll brake your legs

Post by DocAElstein »

stuck wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 16:55
I didn't know the setting Stuart points to existed. ..
Me neither, I had to find it the hard way on a recent fresh windows 11 install…
I strangely never experienced that warning Chris got yet on any of my Windows 10 machines. Possibly someone before me had cleared that particular Hurdle. Or it may have been done just before they were originally sold, I do know that originally the machines were sold through reputable dealers here. They have a habit of changing a lot of the default settings, unless they are under some agreement done at a higher level, if they belong to a larger chain of stores, to leave them as Microsoft want them.
I recently got a Windows 11 machine which would have had very little done to it since a fresh install, one done by an experienced Geek rather than an official dealer . ( It is a legal licence. I never have anything to do with illegal software).
I hit that warning obstacle Chris mentioned the first time I tried to download and install something on that fairly fresh windows 11 machine.
I know I am under average intelligence, ( I am not ashamed of that: If I was born with some other disability like only one leg, I would not be ashamed of that. I achieved through hard work more than most people with one leg).
When I hit this Hurdle, I was busy doing something else, my limited intelligence was used up on that problem, and it took me a while to pick out the right hoops to jump through.
I have hit another Hurdle just now, Of Microsoft Edge rearing its ugly head, stopping something working, that always had, very reliably on XP, Vista, Win 7, 8.1…. I don’t think I will get over that one. Removing that without causing irreparable damage is proving to be a major obstacle to some of the best computer brains just now.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 12:50
...Is this just another instance of Microsoft claiming that it Knows What Is Good For Me?
It could be that, I think, or something slightly more dodgy.
I don’t think its easy to say for sure, one way or another, but there is at least a chance that Microsoft profit by pushing you in the direction of an app in their store, at least sometimes.
You can probably thank the past success of some of our anti trust laws in Europe that you still have that way out that Stuart showed.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 14:04
.... I did not take "this suggestion that I am an idiot" seriously, just as I don't seriously entertain the idea that Microsoft is a ....
I try to keep open minded. To be fair. There is a chance that Microsoft is dominated by very caring people, who realise that there are probably more people using Windows vulnerable to other nasty people, more than there are people with your over average computer knowledge, and so they do their best to protect us, (provided we pay up regularly and do as they want. Their Security Updates currently do have a good reputation for keeping off the other bad people. It’s a sort of protection thing they are trying to organise possibly).

Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(