Executing separate copies of a single EXE application

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Executing separate copies of a single EXE application

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I run Audacity 3.1.3 from two batch files (attached).
Because I am working on two fronts "production" aka Work and "research and development" aka Home, I have set up two configurations of Audacity, hence the two batch files.

The two executable commands are
T:\Appl\Audacity\audacity-work\audacity-win-3.1.3-64bit\Audacity.exe
and
T:\Appl\Audacity\audacity-home\audacity-win-3.1.3-64bit\Audacity.exe

I run the first batch file and Audacity fires up, presenting me with the configuration for WORK, but when I run the second batch file, I remain in control of only one copy of Audacity - with the WORK configuration.

I want to have two copies of Audacity running, one in the Work configuration (where I am doing my job), and another copy running in the Home configuration (where I experiment with macros and so on). My idea that while doing Work, I can Alt-Tab to the Home version, experiment, and then Alt-Tab back to the Work configuration.

I do not know enough to determine whether Audacity is being smart and restricting itself to one copy, or whether Win10 is trying to be smart and economize on memory. If this is a feature of Win10, I reason that there might be some sort of general Win10 workaround that would be effective for other applications.

Thanks for any advice, tips etc.
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Executing separate copies of a single EXE application

Post by stuck »

A search on
"multiple instances" "audacity"
gives this as the first hit:
https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=89665

I know it's MacOS based but anything there that helps you?

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 17:31
A search on "multiple instances" "audacity"
Thanks Ken; I practically live on the Audacity forum most days, so why didn't I think of asking there? :stupidme:
Partly because I thought that this might be a Windows-like problem.

I read the thread and note that it is a 2016 thread, so since I have been posting about "portable" versions for separate configurations I'll post in that thread and link to your valuable find.
Thanks again. :cheers:
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 18:31
A search on "multiple instances" "audacity"
"You can only run one instance of Audacity at a time. One instance of Audacity can have multiple projects open, but only one instance.

If you really must have two instances of Audacity open at a time, then the best way is to use two computers. An alternative is to run one Audacity on a VM (Virtual Machine) and the other on the real hardware, though you will need a good computer to handle that well."

Cheers
Chris