File associations - CFG files and Notepad.exe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

File associations - CFG files and Notepad.exe

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
Back when things used to work, computing was fun, whenever I saw a screen like this, I could choose "Show Apps", find NotePad.exe in a list, enable a check box "always use this application" and be happy.

Win10 (I suspect) has decided that I ought to jump through this hoop every time I want to inspect Audacity's INI file, for that's what it is (you can look in C:\Users\Chris075\AppData\Roaming\Audacity if you want), and I am now of an age where I have given up jumping hurdles (broken hip ---> Hospital, ---> pneumonia)

I expect by now that as usual, as soon as Windows puts a hurdle in my way to stop me doing what I want to do, some kind soul will pop up and tell me how to modify a registry key somewhere so that I can get on with my life, miserable as it is ...

I miss Hans. Is there anyone else out there who can offer advice?
Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: File associations - CFG files and Notepad.exe

Post by JoeP »

If you right-click on the item do you get the "open with" option? Is that what lead you to the pic you posted?

You could always slog your way through the Settings applet for default apps. You can assign an app to a file type.
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 20:11
If you right-click on the item do you get the "open with" option? Is that what lead you to the pic you posted?
Hi Joe
That's what I did, that's what I do several times a day on different file types.
It seems to me that Windows has decided that CFGs really ought not to be touched by Mere Mortals, but then lets us go ahead and do it anyway after a few more :censored: clicks.
It really doesn't make sense. It is what, 27 years since INI files were cast into The Outer Darkness in favour of The Registry (which was supposed to keep us safe from awfulness, except for the cottage industry that has spring up telling us how to massage the registry)
I suspect Audacity has an INI file with a CFG extent because CFG is more useful on the myriad platforms on which Audacity runs.
Sigh!
You could always slog your way through the Settings applet for default apps. You can assign an app to a file type.
Like this, do you mean?
Untitled.png
And there was me thinking I'd have to drill down through those awful trees using RegEdit.exe

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Yep. That should do it.
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I put a shortcut to Notepad.exe into the Sendto folder (in explorer type shell:sendto into the address bar)
Then you can right click on any file and choose Send to... Notepad
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 22:07
I put a shortcut to Notepad.exe into the Sendto folder (in explorer type shell:sendto into the address bar)
Then you can right click on any file and choose Send to... Notepad
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Stuart, "Where have you been all my life?"
Thanks
Chris