laptop frozen

bknight
BronzeLounger

laptop frozen

Post by bknight »

Today I had to work in the registry to delete one key in a program I use daily but was giving me errors. Anyway I was directed by support personnel for that software to delete one sub key actually. I have deleted keys in this directory before without issue. The program was restarted and performed as expected, however every other program running began weird behaviors. Excel would not copy to clipboard but an information sub window would appear asking to search for whatever I had attempted to type and the backspace key would accomplish nothing but that sub window. I could not access my email account in Edge directing me to a new window. Several other errors occurred but those were the worst. Anyway I shut down all running programs and restarted the lap. When all else fails try restarting, hehe.
After restarting everything appears to be working. This leads to my question, I have deleted this same subkey and deleted the folder it was contained but never had any trouble with the lap, so why this time?

HansV
Administrator

Re: laptop frozen

Post by HansV »

It's hard to say, but my guess would be that removing the registry key somehow caused temporary memory corruption. Restarting Windows cleared that up.
Best wishes,
Hans

bknight
BronzeLounger

Re: laptop frozen

Post by bknight »

Ok, thanks.