How Long

BobH
UraniumLounger

How Long

Post by BobH »

How long should a system restore take? I realize this depends on hardware to some extent; it's running on a core i5 3.0 GH processor machine. :cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:

More information:
I was required to restart my other HP laptop after making some changes in Win 10 to enable file sharing. For reasons unknown to me at the moment, when the restart got to the point where I entered my PIN, I could not. I kept getting error messages telling me that the user id - the one that windows creates for pathnames and restart supplied - and the PIN that I KNOW was correct.

Being unable to get past that impasse, I chose the option to login as Administrator which I was allowed to do without credentials; however, I got an entirely fresh Win 10 with no apps installed; yet files seemed to be intact - at least some were such as my Keepass data and other such files. I forgot to check Program Files. It occurred to me that I should be able to do a system restore. I checked and found the restore point files; so I started the restore from Win_key+R and rstrui. That process has been running for about 2 hours now.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: How Long

Post by BobH »

The restore finally ended without success and returned to the administrator sign on. It ran almost 3 hours. I chose the next earlier restore point and started another. It's been running an hour and 10 minutes.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

When you install applications on Windows you can often choose whether they are installed for all users, or for the current user only. That might explain why you can't see your applications when you log in as administrator. Reverting to a previous system restore point won't affect this.

While you are logged in as administrator you should be able to change the password for your user account, and then try to log in as that user again.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, once again, Stuart!!

After running System Restore 3 times, I'm finally back to where I was before the kerfuffle.

If, after running a restore, I choose to run as Administrator, is there way to go back to logging in using my user ID? I had trouble doing so which is why I ran the restore so many times. I'm currently logged in with my user ID.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I'm not sure that I understand your issue Bob. You can log in as administrator, and you can log out and then log in as your normal user. What can you not do?
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I think I had a senior another senior moment.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)