File Sharing on Wifi Network

BobH
UraniumLounger

File Sharing on Wifi Network

Post by BobH »

I have spent 3 days reading articles and following instructions but have been unable to set up file sharing over my home wifi network. Can anyone point me to a how-to that will walk me through this process?

I'm running Win 10 Home Edition 2004 OS Build 19041.928. AFAIK it is up to date.

From articles I read and followed, the HE version requires some variables to be changed a little differently; but mostly the steps are the same. I made all the changes on both laptops to be affected and rebooted both of them but the sharing options in File Explorer do not offer naming the system to share with as the articles suggested they should.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Re: File Sharing on Wifi Network

Post by StuartR »

It would be helpful if you could explain the steps you are following, and the point where it doesn't behave the way you expect.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hi Stuart!

Thanks for responding.

Following a Ten Forums tutorial, I have done the following:
Computers are served by the same wi-fi router and are on the same wifi network
Computers have same workgroup name
Computers have . . . .
1)Server Message Block 'on' (Windows 10 HE does not have SMB Direct)
2)Using Sharing Wizard in Folder Options checked
3)Function Discovery Resource Publication Properties set to Automatic
4)Function Discovery Provider Host Properties set to Automatic
5)Network Discovery Wizard 'om'
6)Network Location set to 'private'
7)File and Printer Sharing set to 'on' in Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > 8)Advanced Settings and Public Folder Sharing 'on' using 128-bit encryption without password protection (off)
9)File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is checked (Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center . . . > Wi-Fi Properties for the wi-fi network; Ethernet does not apply)

I have been over these steps twice on the computers. That doesn't mean, of course, that I'm not doing something wrong but that I'm trying to maintain consistency. Also, of course, these instructions might be wrong or inadequate.

Thanks again for the response.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

To follow up, when I attempt to share a file as described, I get results as described. I created a small .txt file name 'to share.txt'.

Open File Explorer and highlight file to be shared
Click on Share tab - Share With reveals only the Specific People option
Right click highlighted file name and click Share
Options include Notepad and Mail - nothing about sharing with other computers

Here are screenshots showing the file in FE and the result described in the last step, above.
FE File.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I just tried to look at this, and they seem to have completely changed the user interface for configuring shares since I last did anything similar. BUT I found that you can still issue the same old commands from a command prompt. SO try this. (assuming a sharename of MyTempTest to share the folder C:\Users\Stuart\Temp)
  • Right click a command prompt link
  • Run as administrator
  • net share MyTempTest=C:\Users\Stuart\Temp
After you have done this, you will be able to right click the shared folder in Windows Explorer and the properties will now include the Sharing tab, where you can make changes to how the sharing is configured.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Do the PCs show up in the File Explorer Network? In other words, does PC-a show up in PC-b's network and vice versa?
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Stuart! I shall give that a try in a bit.

Joe, no, the PCs do not show up in each other's File Explorer displays.

I think I may have been overthinking this a bit. I watched another YouTube last night that seems to make the process simpler. I shall look at that in a bit as well.

Thank you again for the help. :cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Also, I think you should share a folder, rather than a single file. I don't think I have ever seen a file shared other than by placing it in a shared folder.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks again, Stuart!

I have learned that I must share a drive. No success yet. I keep shooting myself in the foot. :hairout:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you can't see the PCs in the Network section of File Explorer you might have a firewall problem. Are you using the standard Windows firewall?
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I think my attempt to map a shared drive failed.

I stepped back and approached again and now everything is working perfectly.

Here's a YouTube that explains the process very well, in case anyone else finds this thread.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

BobH wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 22:10
I think my attempt to map a shared drive failed.

I stepped back and approached again and now everything is working perfectly.

Here's a YouTube that explains the process very well, in case anyone else finds this thread.
Bob,

Thanks for sharing! :cheers:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL