"Settings" versus "Control Panel"

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

"Settings" versus "Control Panel"

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Various web pages discuss why Windows 10 sports both a Settings mechanism and the familiar old Control Panel.
The general drift seems to be that Microsoft will phase out Control Panel and we will all have to migrate to Settings.
I of course will start with Settings, no more dowdy Control Panel for this modern user!
Then there are those who say "you will be re-directed from Settings to Control Panel, and from Control panel to Settings".
So be it.

I am curious about my sup-peer-iors experience with this two-state existence.
Is "Settings" working for you, and if not why not?
Are you committed to "Control Panel", and if so, I must assume that you have no need for Settings
. Yet.
Thanks
Chris
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: "Settings" versus "Control Panel"

Post by HansV »

I use both, and you will too. Some settings can only be managed in Settings, some only in Control Panel, and some in both.
If you're not sure which one to use, click the Start button or press the Windows key and type a keyword. Although there are annoying exceptions, the search mechanism is generally quite good at presenting the relevant option.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

There's a lot to be said for combining the two, and calling it Control Settings :evilgrin:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When Windows 10 was first released in July of 2015, I expected Microsoft to transfer all Control Panel functionality to Settings within a year or so. But now, 5 years later, Settings is still missing a lot of settings...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 11:36
There's a lot to be said for combining the two, and calling it Control Settings :evilgrin:
I agree.
Right now I see this specific issue as Just One More Hurdle that users must jump through
to get an operating system installed.
let alone, customised.
let alone maintained.

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 11:45
When Windows 10 was first released in July of 2015, I expected Microsoft to transfer all Control Panel functionality to Settings within a year or so. But now, 5 years later, Settings is still missing a lot of settings...
I read this too, that it was taking The Team(s) longer than they had anticipated to get everything migrated over.
Still and all, I shake my head in disbelief that no-one on the team had the guts to make a single window and load it with shortcuts (that weren't really Shortcuts) so that whatever was in Settings or Control Panel was in one place.

I don't mind clicking on "Disk Management" when asked to do so after I have searched in Mouse Pointers for Shrink Volume. That happens every ten years when I go looking for a new pair of pants at the greengrocers.
I do object to what is effectively "In order to serve you better we have moved this item to somewhere else, and you have to click one more time than if we had done the redirection for you".
Not that I'm complaining or anything.

I shall use the search box. At least that will lead me down a consistent path.

Thanks
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 11:45
Pretty much similar here. Been waiting for MSFT to finish that process & development of Windows 10, to reach some kind of stable status (I know it's running stable). And to decide about upgrade cadence. This mix of old and new is of course nothing new to MSFT. They don't care much, it seems, with patient customers, instead they have introduced errors and problems at a level not seen for a while, with Windows Search etc.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 10:38
Various web pages discuss why Windows 10 sports both a Settings mechanism and the familiar old Control Panel.
It has been discussed a couple of times, Chris.
https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 4d#p234444
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 13:30
It has been discussed a couple of times, Chris.
https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 4d#p234444
Thanks Argus. I missed this, probably because I searched Topics (only) for <Settings Control Panel>.
Had I not selected Topics I might have found it, along with 64 other hits.
Cheers
Chris