Windows 10 NTSF Format

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows 10 NTSF Format

Post by hlewton »

Just got an external 2 TB drive. I read all the information and nowhere did it say it was formatted in exFat format, which I have never heard of. I tried to format it using Windows 10 to the NTSF format and it would not allow it to be formatted. Though I don’t know what a Time Machine is this is all it says about reformatting in its add, “Simply plug this external hard drive for Mac and Windows into a computer via the included USB 3.0 cable to back up files with a single click or schedule automatic daily, weekly, or monthly backups; Reformatting may be required for use with Time Machine.

Is there a way to format this to NTSF format since Windows 10 can’t seem to do it for me?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 NTSF Format

Post by HansV »

Time Machine is a MacOS feature; it does not apply to Windows.
The description that you quote suggests that the drive has been pre-formatted and can be used right out of the box...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 23:16
Time Machine is a MacOS feature; it does not apply to Windows.
The description that you quote suggests that the drive has been pre-formatted and can be used right out of the box...
I can use it and am doing so but it won't index in a program I use quite frequently called Everything that searches all my drives for a specific file. I contacted the developer and he said they are working on trying to get Everything, or some know it as Search Everything, to index and search an exFat drive but right now it is a work in progress. So I tried to reformat the drive to NTSF which Everything has no problem indexing but the format failed. Just wondered if there was some other way to format it to NTSF.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

If it is a MacOS type device, then NO it can not be reformatted to NTFS.
Remember that tan Apple controls ALL hardware for their machines.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 00:52
If it is a MacOS type device, then NO it can not be reformatted to NTFS.
Remember that tan Apple controls ALL hardware for their machines.
When you say this you mean the external hard drive correct? Because my computers are now Mac devices for sure. Though it did not say what the format was in the description of this it did say it was for Windows, and it does work in Windows, just cannot reformat it. I think that is deceptive advertising. Wish I had saved the packaging but when it seemed top work out of the box, I recycled the box.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I found this. There is more to the article but I am only posting the part that I believe is of interest to this thread. The rest of the article before and after this part does not define "FS" do you know what "FS" stands for? Also in this instance the patrician is 2 TB so maybe I should just forget about trying this.

By Teresa / Last Updated January 31, 2019
Format exFAT to NTFS in CMD

To ensure file system change from exFAT to NTFS format, you have to turn to a different syntax, format. To guarantee no data loss during exFAT to NTFS conversion, you’d better backup files before reformatting. Take format USB exFAT to NTFS for example.

Press Windows key and R key simultaneously to open Run. Type cmd and click OK. Run as administrator.

Type: format P: /FS: NTFS (where P: is the drive letter of USB) and hit Enter. Specify partition label if you want to.

Format exFAT to NTFS in CMD

Usually, the formatting process will be completed soon. You can restore the backup image to that space then. However, the formatting progress lasts too long sometimes when the partition is too large in size. In a few cases, you may get format cannot be completed error. If you happen to encounter one of those troubles, you have other ways.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I assume that FS stands for File System. NTFS is an example of a file system, exFAT another.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 12:15
I assume that FS stands for File System. NTFS is an example of a file system, exFAT another.
Thank you. I could not find an explanation for that switch, if that is what it is, on the NET anywhere.
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

hlewton wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 13:31
HansV wrote:
Thank you. I could not find an explanation for that switch, if that is what it is, on the NET anywhere.
Search string: Format command site:microsoft.com
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... nds/format
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 13:34
hlewton wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 13:31
HansV wrote:
Search string: Format command site:microsoft.com
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... nds/format
Thanks for that link.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Don't forget that "help" is available for any cmd shell command line by entering the command followed by /?

Ie. Format /? - You'll see the switch in question in the output.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 21:26
Don't forget that "help" is available for any cmd shell command line by entering the command followed by /?

Ie. Format /? - You'll see the switch in question in the output.
OK thank you. I guess I did forget that and the sad part is I used to know it back in the DOS days.
Regards,
hlewton