How to clear "Group by" in SaveAs dialog boxes

StuartR
Administrator

How to clear "Group by" in SaveAs dialog boxes

Post by StuartR »

Both FireFox and Chrome have recently started to group files by date in the Save As dialog box.

This screenshot shows me trying to download a file using FireFox, and struggling to find the right folder to put it in!
(Nothing secret here, just the drive where I store any downloaded software)

I tried changing the folder view in File Explorer to Group by date, and then back to no group, but this didn't help. The SaveAs dialog box doesn't have an option to change the group by behaviour. Any other suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Re: How to clear "Group by" in SaveAs dialog boxes

Post by HansV »

Weird, the Save As dialog in Firefox doesn't group files for me. I have turned off grouping everywhere in File Explorer, so even though it failed for you, I suspect it has something to do with that.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

By the way, I cannot find anything about this behavior.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

StuartR wrote:The SaveAs dialog box doesn't have an option to change the group by behaviour. Any other suggestions?
With the hint taken from How to disable file groups in Open dialogs in Windows - gHacks Tech News, try Right-Clicking in the white space immediately after a filename:
x.jpg
i.e. where I show the blue arrow above. Do you get the View menu now?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Brilliant Leif. All fixed.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 15:44
By the way, I cannot find anything about this behavior.
I think that it is aimed at me, personally :evilgrin:

I had not seen this before this morning. In File Explorer I examined a folder with a *.DOC filter looking to Details to present my documents in Last Modified sequence.
"Group By" layout popped up.
I found a solution for File Explorer at a Reddit Thread, which worked for me.

Five minutes later I began a new document in Word2003 and issued a saveAs. The saveAs dialogue box presented files in :fanfare: Group By.
So, here I am searching Eileen's Lounge for group saveAs and I see Stuart responding "Brilliant Leif. All fixed". Worth a quick glance ...

I reopened Word2003, opened a document (File, 1) and tried saveAs and found that grouping had gone away.
(1) Group By manifested itself in File Explorer and I fixed that with the Reddit hint
(2) Group By then manifested itself in Word2003 and I exited Word2003 and came here
(3) I read this thread from two years ago, and re-loaded Word2003, and the problem had gone away.
(4) I cannot remember whether Word2003 was open at the time I fixed File Explorer. If Word2003 was open, then it had possibly picked up the annoying Group By settings when it loaded, and so fixing FE, exiting MSWord and then reloading MSW might have caused MSW to use the new Group By settings ("none")

Anyway, I find it odd that the Group By should suddenly appear in File Explorer. With Word2003 all bets are off, of course; the Better-Living team at MSWindows sit around sipping coffee and agreeing that no-one in their right mind would still be using software from 1983-2003. And they might be right.

That's why i think that this is a personal attack :evilgrin: MS knows darn well that I hang out here, and MS is afraid of Leif :flee:
I shall, of course, keep an eye open.
Thanks to Stuart, Leif and, as always, Hans
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace