Alarm App Sound Missing

sobershea
2StarLounger

Alarm App Sound Missing

Post by sobershea »

This one is making me crazy! I am using the Alarm and Clock app to ring at 9PM. The notification has been popping up AND making a sound for weeks. Now the notification pops up but without sound. I Googled this and tried all the driver related suggestions, but still no sound in the Alarm app. I do have Windows sounds, and I can play iTunes and can hear sound in YouTube. Just not in the Alarm and a few games (that had sound before). I even used the HP Recovery App and re-installed the Realtek Audio driver, but the results are the same.

I did read somewhere that the Alarm app uses Alarm09, but I have no idea what that file is called in the App. And I cannot preview sounds in the app. I can however play that file in Windows Sounds.

:hairout:

TIA
Sherry
Sherry

sobershea
2StarLounger

Re: Alarm App Sound Missing

Post by sobershea »

PS. I forgot to mention that the Sound Troubleshooter keeps saying that the Audio Device isn't set as default. But when I select Playback devices it says that the Speaker/HP, Realtek High Definition Audio, is the Default device (green check).
Sherry

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you tried to reset the app? If you are running the Anniversary Update go to Settings | Apps. Select "Alarms and Clocks". Click Advanced and then Reset.
Joe

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

I did reset the Alarm app but there still is no sound. I recently switched from a local user to my Microsoft user account and the sound problems and Cortana problems seemed to start then. I would like to go back to my local account but it won't let me use the original name on my original local account. Won't that mean that my files etc will be under a different user name?
Sherry

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Select Start > Settings.
Select System, then select Notifications and Actions.
The first three options under Notifications should all be set to "On".

Also: click the Start button, type the word sound and press Enter to activate the Sound control panel.
Activate the Sounds tab.
Make sure that the Sound Scheme is set to Windows Default.

(Does your local user still exist, or has it been converted to a Microsoft account?)
Best wishes,
Hans

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Well, all is solved. I had forgotten that Insider Preview had installed an update, around the time I switched to a Microsoft account. Today they updated again and all is well. :clapping:

Thank you all,
Sherry
Sherry

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that. Thanks for the feedback.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

sobershea wrote:Well, all is solved. I had forgotten that Insider Preview had installed an update, around the time I switched to a Microsoft account. Today they updated again and all is well. :clapping:

Thank you all,
Sherry
It is very important to note in your original post that you are running an Insider Preview build. As an Insider you are in a mode of continual testing and while troubleshooting still helps some problems with Insider builds weird things may happen and not be fixable until the next release.
Joe