Windows 10 - Aaargh!

silverback
5StarLounger

Windows 10 - Aaargh!

Post by silverback »

I hate windows 10!
My router packed up and I've installed a new one. All devices in the house - except the laptop running Windows 10 - are connected and using the internet OK
The Windows 10 laptop just tells me "Your device is connected but you might not be able to access anything on the network" (and, indeed, I can't get anything on the internet)
I have checked that wireless is switched on.
I have 'forgotten' the house wireless network, switched wireless off, then back on again; this finds the house network OK. I reconnected the laptop to the house network, putting in the router password. This is accepted, then the error "Your device is connected but you might not be able to access anything on the network" is displayed again.

When I click on Troubleshoot, it goes through its checks but ends with
"'name of my wireless network' does not have a valid IP configuration". Problem not fixed.
What do I need to do to get my laptop back on the internet, please?
Thanks
Silverback
PS : All was working OK with the old router.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 - Aaargh!

Post by HansV »

Try the following:
- Right-click the Start button in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Select 'Command Prompt (Admin)' from the context menu.
- Type

ipconfig.exe /release

- Press Enter.
- Type

ipconfig.exe /renew

- Press Enter.
- Close the command prompt window.
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

OK. Tried this but got a lot of errors saying things could not be changed while media was disconnected.
Ignored this, in the best interests of a former computer programmer, and input the /renew. Again, lots of errors saying media disconnected.
Ignored these, and tried MS Edge which failed to open the initial page. Tried Firefox and it connected OK.
Restarted the PC. Apparently hung up during restart, just displaying a picture and no icons. Ctrl, Alt, Del
and the desktop appeared. Tried Edge and Firefox and both connect to the internet OK. I'm inputting this from the laptop now using Edge.
So, once again, huge thanks to you, Hans. But what the :censored: has been going on, please?
Thanks
Silverback :cheers: :chocciebar:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's hard to say what caused the problems. But I'm glad it's working now!
Best wishes,
Hans