Windows 10 ISO Build Information

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Windows 10 ISO Build Information

Post by BobArch2 »

Whenever there is a cumulative update to Windows 10 I am in the habit of downloading a new ISO file about 2 days after the update has been released. The rational is that I will always have an ISO file available for a fresh rebuild if needed.

I have accumulated about a half dozen ISO files that have been burned to DVDs in the bootable/install format. I have affixed labels to the DVD jewel cases denoting appropriate information like Product ID, Key, version (Pro 64 bit) and date created. What I did not record was the build information. A Google search for a method of getting the build number from the ISO file (or the bootable DVD) was found and I tried the process. The result shows the main build number but not what I would refer to as the "sub" build number which is the cumulative update reference.

I am wondering if there is a parameter in the command prompt that will provide the full build number. Here are three snapshots that show what I have so far:

This is information obtained through the Settings command...
Win10Build1.gif
This is the batch file containing the command prompt...
Win10Build2.gif
This is the result of running the batch file...
Win10Build3.gif
Any ideas or suggestions as to how to get the full build number from the ISO (or bootable/install DVD)?

P.S. The command prompt to get the information from the ISO file or bootable DVD is the exact same except for the drive letter. (The sample above shows drive K: which is the ISO file.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows 10 ISO Build Information

Post by viking33 »

Bob,
You are a Windows Insider aren't you?
Check out this list for the latest list of builds.

HOWEVER......
I Think
Last edited by viking33 on 22 Sep 2016, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The link Bob posted is for the latest releases to the general public. It is not a list of Insider builds.
Joe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

JoeP wrote:The link Bob posted is for the latest releases to the general public. It is not a list of Insider builds.
I just asked the question, Joe.
Didn't want to infer if it was for Insiders or Public.

I modified my OP to make it clearer.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

viking33 wrote:Bob,
You are a Windows Insider aren't you?
Check out this list for the latest list of builds.

HOWEVER......
I Think
I was in the Insider program but got out April 2016 when I updated my production environment to Win10. The references to the ISO files are all post April 2016. It is not a serious issue since I would only really need the most current ISO download if I wanted to perform a fresh install. However, being a "packrat" I'm loath to dump the older ISO files and DVDs. :grin:

Many thanks for that link. It puts the "sub" build number into perspective and I can match the dates with my recorded download dates.

It would have been nice if the dism command could/would reveal the full build number.
Regards,
Bob

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

This thread piqued my curiosity and, having nothing better to do, I started wondering about these codes. For example, Bob's OS Build (and mine) is 14393.187 but Viking's link shows the existence of 14393.189. Did we miss an update?

How can one interpret the Product ID? Bob's is 00330-80000-00000-AA308, mine is the same except for the last group (AA018). What does it all mean? :hairout: :hairout: Curious minds want to know! :scratch:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Hi Paul,

Clicking on the latest KB REVEALS THIS:

September 20, 2016 — KB3193494 (OS Builds 14393.187 and 14393.189)
We encountered a network transmission issue with update KB3189866 published on September 13, 2016, and the quickest way to address this issue was to reissue the update to all Content Delivery Networks. This new update KB3193494 has the same set of fixes as KB3189866. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

14393.187 is the latest 'regular' (non-insider) build for Windows 10 Desktop, and 14393.180 for Windows 10 Mobile.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Curiosity quenched. Thank you, gentlemen.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

But, but, but... no answer for the different Product ID. Keep looking.

Are you running Win 10 Pro 64bit? If not, that could be a hint.

I updated from Win8.1. Did you? If not, that could be a hint.

:shrug:
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My Product ID is 00326-10000-00000-AA492, for 64-bit Windows 10 Home, upgraded from Windows 8.1.

I have no idea what the different Product IDs mean, and I haven't been able to find a definitive explanation.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 bit, manually upgraded from Win 8.1. Still trying to find an explanation.
Regards,
Paul