Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit

Post by E_OGRADY »

I have installed Paragon Backup and Recovery 16 and to create the rescue media I need to install the "Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit'
I have Windows 10 Build 10586 Version 1511
I searched on ADK for build 10586 version 1511
Got to
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... oyment-kit
Downloaded from the link on the Right hand side
Started the install, after 5 hours gave up with about 23% installed.
I searched for install time and found the following site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Io8GqcMpk
Started the install again and switched off all but two of the tools as suggested in the youtube link.
now after 3 more hours there is only 16% installed, what am I doing wrong?
For some reason I cannot get to support at Paragon.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit

Post by HansV »

Right-click an empty part of the taskbar, and select Task Manager from the context menu. If you see 'More Details' at the bottom of the Task Manager window, click that.
Are there processes that use a lot of CPU capacity?
Best wishes,
Hans

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Only about three of them are using the CPU, the highest 1.5%. At the very top the CPU usage varies but is only at 2% average.
The memory usage is 34%

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

So that doesn't explain why installing is so slow...
I hope that someone else will have a suggestion for you, this is beyond me.
Best wishes,
Hans

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Finally after about 5 hours the install completed, I was able to create the image file. I will not test it as yet.
Thanks Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Phew! That's a long time!
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

I am using ShadowProtect which needs the ADK to create the Recovery Environment CD. Albeit I am running Windows 10, the ADK needed by the ReBuilder is still ADK 8.0 or ADK 8.1. When I last installed ADK 8.1 (August 2015) it took much less time than you have experienced. If memory serves me correctly it was less than 15 minutes for the install.

I have just checked the ShadowProtect support forums and ADK 8.0 or 8.1 is still the recommended version. However, other users have asked when they can use ADK 10. I posted a like question and will await their response. Once supported I will try the v10 to see what will happen.
Regards,
Bob

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Thanks Bob, I look forward to reading the next response.
It may be the Computer, at a friends house 50 klms away over the weekend.
Tested the Boot Disk this morning prior to leaving for home and could not access the Boot menu on the HP Pavilion G6. Drove home with the computer, rang my mate a technician, he came round and it worked as it should, he accessed the boot menu in exactly the same way I had tried, the Recovery disk worked fine.
About to leave and deliver the Notebook back 50 klms both ways, I am not happy.
I have ADK 10 on two systems and cannot recall a problem.

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Further news, I am back over the other side of the city, the computer behaved exactly the same as it did this morning. At least I now knew where the problem was, it was at this site.

The solution was in one of the USB3 sockets on the notebook was cable to a TP-LINK UH700 7 port USB3 hub, I removed the cable and now all works.

Next step is to test the situation to identify whether it is the hub or one or more of the three USB sticks that were plugged into the hub.

This may have accounted for the slow installation Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit.

Thanks fellows

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Progress, at least!
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

E_OGRADY wrote:...I look forward to reading the next response...
The feedback from StorageCraft is that they have no ETA for employing ADK 10 in the building of the Recovery Environment CD(or DVD). Their response is that ADK 8.1 should serve the purpose. Albeit that there is a user that states ADK 10 is needed in a Windows 10 environment when Bitlocker is employed due to changes in the BitLocker coding. Since I do not use BitLocker, nor am I familiar with it, it appears there is no need for ADK 10 in my Windows 10 environment.

Going back to your original concern about the time to install ADK taking hours in lieu of my experience of less than 15 minutes: The ADKSetup download, when executed, will download the entire set of tools for many applications. The only feature of the tool set that is required is the Win PE tool. Perhaps you downloaded the entire tool set which based on your bandwidth speed could take time. Plus the time needed to install the various tools. (Just guessing here so feel free to tell me shoo-shoo! :grin: )
Regards,
Bob

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Please excuse my tardiness in replying, I think I have solved my networking problem (see other post), my MODEM decided to give up the ghost and took my router with it, I have not been able to transmit.
Will reply in more detail in a couple of days.

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

I will complete this post on the weekend when I have full access to the computer.
The problem with the 7 port hub turned out to be a Medion 64 GB USB stick, when plugged in to the Hub the computer will not boot.
I tried formatting the stick initially to exFAT but still the same, then to NTFS again the same result. I can copy files to and from the stick without problem. But if connected to the computer on boot it hangs the boot.
I will have access to the version of Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit I installed.

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Still have not sorted out the USB Stick problem.

On the ADK issue I searched for "windows assessment and deployment kit " and opened the following site:—
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... oyment-kit
On the right hand side of that site is shown by the Blue arrow:—
Windows Assessment And Deployment Kit Site.png
I am not game to play with it any further, the boot disk for Paragon 16 works.
The file name I downloaded is:—

adksetup.exe

The properties dialog box is shown
Windows ADK Properties.png
Any advice would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can click the Windows button or press the Windows key on the keyboard. Then type the word winver and press Enter.
Under Microsoft Windows, you'll see "Version 1511" if you have the fall 2015 update, and "Version 1607" if you have the "anniversary update". If you see neither, you have the original release. The Assessment and Deployment Kit should match your update level.
Best wishes,
Hans

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Thanks Hans,
At that time the installation was 1511
After much drama it is now 1607.
Do you think I should create a new boot disk and reinstall the "The Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit."
The already created disk worked and should still work. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
The strange thing is that in the, say two weeks before the Anniversary update started to download the Internet on all three computers became very slow, they were tested on different networks, is it possible the some pre-install of the Anniversary Update slowed it the download down?
Of the three computers two of the installs went without issue, the third was connected to a different network (not its home network) that install hung for 2 hours, confused about what to do, I left it on battery power put it in the car and drove the 50 kls to home. Remarkably the install restarted and completed.
My "theory" is that it was looking for something, like the NAS drives, external drives, or the wireless network i.e. printers or my backup software directed to the USB drive. Since the update, the audio on the HP Pavilion has corrected itself, no need for the Bluetooth, the Internet speed has returned to normal. It did however remove a couple of items like the Windows Media Center and the Windows Seven games, I have since reinstalled the games and they have resumed with the same scores etc.
There is a lot covered here possibility some should be elsewhere please advise.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I hope that someone who knows more about the intricacies of Windows will be able to help you. My reply would just be an uninformed guess.
Best wishes,
Hans

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Thanks Hans, I hope somebody is there for me.
Certainly the computers are so much better after the update.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've not heard of anything being downloaded ahead of time with the AU. I would think the internet speed problem was something else.

There have been reports of various hidden devices causing AU installation issues. Any external device not connected would be hidden. So, that possibly could've been the cause of the hang. It is impossible to tell now.
Joe