Start up wants a password

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Start up wants a password

Post by viking33 »

I made one of my seldom visits to Win 10 and it seems to boot up OK but it doesn't get any further that the screen with the blue windows panes and my name and email address, then wants a password? I never set a password and before this it booted right into the "normal" menu screen.
Now there is NO Start button or anything else in the way of options except three icons in the lower right. Go to internet, accessibility settings and shut off?
Went back to old faithful Win 7 and googled around. All I saw was go to start>type netplwiz that should bring me to an account screen. Well, how can I do that when I don't HAVE a start button?

No wonder I have this aversion to Windows 10!
Any help on this???
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Start up wants a password

Post by HansV »

Did you install Windows 10 with a local account? Perhaps you've been switched to a Microsoft account, and you need to provide the password for this account...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:Did you install Windows 10 with a local account? Perhaps you've been switched to a Microsoft account, and you need to provide the password for this account...
Yes, out of desperation, I tried my MS account PW and it seemed to like that. I was then able to go into NETPLWIZ and untick the use password for start menu ( or it said something like that )

I am always amazed at how things get changed, seemingly all by themselves in Windows!
So, that's another mystery solved. :thumbup:
I'm now back in Win 7. Will try 10 some other time.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

All your accounts are belong to Microsoft! :innocent:
Best wishes,
Hans