Graphics Problem

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Graphics Problem

Post by E_OGRADY »

I have no idea where to place this post, so please assist me if I have selected the incorrect forum.
My motherboard failed on my trusty old desktop, I chose to update to:

Gigabyte GA_H170-HD3 DDR3
250 GB SSD
8 GB Memory
i5 Intel processor

The DVD drives were recently upgraded so remained, together with the power supply 650W Corsair.

I finally removed the ASUS 08G17011360 - Asus EN7300GT PCIe x16 Graphics (V8170) card because of the outlined problem below. And am now using the motherboard graphics.
The monitor is an ACER G245H.
The monitor is currently connected via HDMI but has been used by DVI
I upgraded to Windows 10, but at this time have not received the Anniversary Update.

I cannot be definitive but most menu items, icon or system tray displays as text highlighted in black.

I have searched the web (to the best of my ability) I have found similar occurrences but cannot relate them for a solution.

At the moment I am using the Intel (R) Graphics Settings. Right Click Desktop context menu.

Yesterday (after 4 weeks) of hell I also installed the ACER eDisplay management. I think I have tried every permutation of possible settings in Intel and ACER.

If I hover over an ICON on the desktop the description shows blacked out. I do not have a spare monitor.

The two pictures below are indicative of the problem.
Desktop Capture1.PNG
Desktop Capture2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Graphics Problem

Post by Rudi »

Does it help if you try to change to another theme? Maybe its a corrupt theme instead of a graphics issue?

See this web page for instructions to change to another Windows 10 theme to test the theory.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Thanks Rudi, tried your suggestion But!
The computer is useless as I cannot see some of the text, see image of Device Manager in original post.

Tried another 3 hours of possibilities, all to no avail.
However I have noticed the problem extends to the ribbon in Office 2010 (Word) Not all text but the font in word the final figure has the problem

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What happens if you start Windows 10 in Safe Mode? Do menu items etc. display normally?

See Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10 for instructions.
Best wishes,
Hans

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

I think the episode is over but not in the way I thought.
I had downloaded the Intel driver update utility, ran the software and was advised there was a new driver, which I downloaded and started to install but part way through the install a dialog box popped up which stated that the installed driver was a later version.

Observing the message I aborted the install.

Today in desperation I again ran the utility, the same driver was offered, this time I completed the install and now all appears to be well.
The installed driver was (in my opinion) not from Intel, maybe from Microsoft, alternatively it could have been corrupt. If it was corrupt where did it come from.

My friend who installed the new hardware had "a gadget" which plugged into a USB port and updated all the drivers to the latest versions, I have not been able to contact him at the time of writing.

I will (if I remember) post again in this post with an update. At age 79 I sometimes remember my name.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm glad it's working OK again.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Its good to hear you succeeded. TX for the report back. :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

All appears to be fine, except for networking. I will make a post in the correct forum.
I have waited for the Anniversary update but have not received it as yet.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See How to get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update for information on getting the Anniversary Update if you are tired of waiting.
Joe