Anniversary Update installed without problems

BobL
StarLounger

Re: Anniversary Update installed without problems

Post by BobL »

My wife's laptop PC (HP Envy) has been doing the same thing as your Acer - try as I may it won't update to the Anniversary Edition of Win 10. Same whirling thingie overnight and then I manage to shut it down - then it eventually reloads the previous Win 10 version.
The next attempt I make I'm going to remove the battery and attempt to upgrade solely on plug-in power. A week ago her display flaked out and the only way I could get her laptop back up was to power down, remove the battery, then boot up on plug-in power...
Wonders never cease to amaze me.. <g> :scratch:
BobL
The Other Bob from Maine

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

One of the "tricks" to get the original Windows 10 update installed is still one of the first things to try now with the Anniversary Update. Try using the Media Creation Tool. You can download it at Download Windows 10.

Also, disable your A/V solution when you try the upgrade. Disconnect any external USB devices - disks primarily.
Joe

BobL
StarLounger

Post by BobL »

Thanks Joe, I'll try that just as soon as I can pry that laptop from my 'better half's' fingers :laugh: (Can't estimate when that might be).
FYI, no externals attached other than the wireless mouse connector, Windows Defender is the only A/V in use - should that be de-activated as well.
BobL
The Other Bob from Maine

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It shouldn't be necessary to disable Windows Defender, but you might do that as an extra precaution.
Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

BobL wrote:My wife's laptop PC (HP Envy) has been doing the same thing as your Acer - try as I may it won't update to the Anniversary Edition of Win 10. Same whirling thingie overnight and then I manage to shut it down - then it eventually reloads the previous Win 10 version.
I'd edited my previous post to indicate success with the Acer laptop, but that seems to have been premature. We spent a happy saturday morning watching the black screen with the white swirlys until I got bored and shut it down by holding the power button. It then proceeded to spend an hour checking the HD for errors and finally booted into win10ann. Yay!

The wee pc needed to be upgraded using the Media creation tool (thanks Joe) and so far seems to be fine.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

I got the anniversary update and had to use my backup laptop since my main laptop had a hissy fit for a day rebooting. I finally shrugged and turned it off and on. Tada! You have successfully updated and Cortana was giddy with excitement.
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

BobL
StarLounger

Post by BobL »

Out of curiosity, how long did you leave the update with the circular scroll wheel going before you turned it off and on?
BobL
The Other Bob from Maine